Ben - just diagnosed yesterday

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ben's Mom, Dec 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben's Mom

Ben's Mom New Member

so my 9 year old boy has been acting a bit restless and drinking a lot in the past 10 days or so. Camping out at the water bowl. He lost a couple of pounds (which, he was overweight anyway, but still.)

At first, a friend mentioned he may be bored with his food, so I went out and bought meow mix, which he loves but never gets. He started to eat like a starving man and gained a pound in a week.

Brought him to the vet and he was diagnosed yesterday.

The issue - I'm on a two week vacation and I'm panicking that I'm doing him irreversible damage while I'm wandering around Disney world. My sitter is experienced in giving insulin, but I can only afford to have her come once a day. Since I have 4 cats, I have been free feeding but I have asked her to give them wet food to ensure she sees that he is eating. (He was eating fine when I left.) I have a petcube and he's pretty much been sitting by the water bowl a lot. I think some of that might be bc I'm not around to distract him.

I know no one here is a vet, and every cat is unique, but am I overreacting at all?

Sorry for long winded post. :)

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome! Is Ben getting insulin now, but only once a day? If so, what kind and how much? Also what are you feeding?

3. Ben's Mom

Ben's Mom New Member

He is not getting insulin yet. I haven't even known for 24 hours yet, and already I'm a mess. I've asked the vet if it's better to start him on it while I'm away, but my sitter can only come every 24 hours, so I'm thinking he'll say no.

Right now he has dry meow mix and canned fancy feast. It's what I left, and it's expensive for the sitter to do a food run.

His 'symptoms' started less than two weeks ago, which I know doesn't mean much since they are good at hiding it. Did a regular workup (which was how he was diagnosed), and everything else seems ok. Only a small amount of ketones shown in test.

4. Sharon14

Switching him to all low carb wet food would be the best thing. The only thing that concerns me are the ketones. Please be sure the sitter watches for any signs of inappetence, or lethargy as ketones can spike quickly.

5. Ben's Mom

Ben's Mom New Member

The sitter just left. Ben wasn't interested in his wet food. :(

The vet did say he can start on insulin, even tho he'll only get it every 24 hours til I get home. I'm hoping it helps to bring his appetite back some.

6. Sharon14

Is he eating the dry? What insulin will you be using?

7. Ben's Mom

Ben's Mom New Member

Nope. Not eating the dry either.

Waiting for pharmacy to call me.

What concerns me is that he has to eat when he has the shot, and if he's not eating now, the sitter won't be able to give the shot and start him on his insulin.

I'm in a bathroom stall at Epcot crying my eyes out. The vet can board him and monitor him, but it would cost $80 a day and I don't have that.

I'm a mess. But thank you for continuing to reply. I don't feel so alone. ❤️

8. Sharon14

When will the pet sitter be back? Is Ben acting normal, but just not hungry? I don’t want to make you feel worse, but I’m concerned about the not eating. If ketones are building things can go bad quickly.

9. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

@Ben's Mom
    :bighug:
    More than a few of us have been sitting in similar situations. Let it out when you need to.
    It sounds like your sitter lives far away, or has travel costs- is there any way that she can stay at your house while you are away?
    Another option is to ask if one of the vet techs could stop by. It would likely be cheaper than boarding.

Sharon14 likes this.
  10. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Not eating and ketones in the picture is worrying. If you were with him we'd be recommending extra water, syringe feeding and insulin for sure. Insulin once a day is better than no insulin but this is a very tricky situation. He might need antinausea meds to get him eating. I don't really know what to suggest given your absence and other constraints.

Sharon14 likes this.
  11. Martica and Fred

Martica and Fred Member

Where do you live? Maybe there is someone here who can help you? Maybe you can ask your sitter for a discount given the emergency...

12. Ben's Mom

Ben's Mom New Member

Sorry for delay in reply.

A very lovely soul gave me a loan so Ben will be boarded at the vet today so he will have 24/7 monitoring and can start his insulin.

I haven't seen him on the pet cam in front of the water bowl in about 8 hours, which freaks me out. But he spends a lot of time on the bed which I can't see so it's likely that's where he is. He does get mopey when I'm gone.

90 minutes until the sitter arrives. The owner of the sitting company called me last night and said she was going to handle everything, and to try not to worry. I'll feel better once he gets to the vet.

I live in Los Angeles, Martica and Fred.

Idjit's mom likes this.
  13. Sharon14

I’m glad Ben will be at the vet. Please keep us posted!

14. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

I am so glad to read this, Ben will be in a safer environment getting the care he needs. Like Sharon14 said, please keep us posted on his progress at the vet and then when you get home. We can help you with information and support as you learn about his treatment at home. We all started out not knowing much about the "sugar dance" but we are here to help. :bighug::cat::cat::cat:

15. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I'm so glad Ben will be in safe hands at the vet clinic. :bighug::) Keep us posted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.