Best brand

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lesliejm, Dec 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lesliejm

Lesliejm Member

I am sorry but I am new to this. My head is spinning because I want the best food for my cat. I feed him Nutro portions but there is no info for them on the list. What do you feed?

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Nutro perfect portions are fine

Most of us feed Fancy Feast Classics or Friskies pates.....you can usually look at the ingredients list for foods and get a pretty good idea if they're going to be low carb. I don't see any of the telltale warning signs like corn, wheat, rice, potatoes, peas, etc. in their ingredient list so they should be pretty low carb which is good for a sugarcat

3. Lesliejm

Lesliejm Member

I try to look for good ingredients. I will keep him on it. He loves it. B t w ,how do you figure how many kcals he needs? He is 16 pounds and weight is fine.

4. nmveasey

nmveasey Member

This formula is from cat info.org

Required calories per day = [13.6 X optimal lean body weight in pounds] + 70

So: (13.6 x 16) + 70 = 287.6 calories per day to maintain.

The article goes on to say that the calculated number may be too generous.

Hope that helps!

5. Lesliejm

Lesliejm Member

Just went and bought Sheba small portions for my cat. It says on the one list that it's very very low in carbs and it's good so I went and bought that my cat was at a 389 level today. he hasn't started on any insulin yet I'm waiting tomorrow to go to the vet to get that started. I was going to put him on pills then I read about it and I decided no on the pills I want to give him a chance to go into remission.

JanetNJ likes this.
  6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Good... The sooner you start the better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.