? Best Diabetic Cat Food?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by SilverSap, Oct 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SilverSap

SilverSap Member

Hi everyone! My cat (6 years old, normal weight) was diagnosed in May of this year with diabetes. Prior to diagnosis he ate both wet and dry food. Since the diagnosis he has been on an all wet food diet. He eats Wellness CORE grain-free chicken. That said, we have had great trouble regulating him, trying different insulins, different dosages, different timings etc but he just doesn't seem to want to give us any pattern in his readings! The vet suggested switching to a diabetic cat food, i believe she referred to DM by Purina. Has anyone had any luck with this cat food? Alternately, can anyone provide any suggestion or advice on the best cat foods out there for a diabetic cat? (We have 2 other cats that also only eat this wet food so ideally we would like to continue feeding all 3 cats the same food).

2. AJHJ

AJHJ Member

I have had the best luck with Fancy Feast. I mostly give chicken or chunky chicken. I occasionally give some of the fish flavors. I have 2 cats--1 diabetic and 1 not and they both like it. I tried lots of expensive brands and Fancy Feast led to the most consistent bg levels and my cats like it the best.

3. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I'd say there are two issues with DM wet. It is not high in carbs, but is very expensive. And it is liver based. My kitty got tired of the taste, and he was not a picky cat. If you look at its ingredients and ingredients on pet store food, there is little difference. There is nothing "prescription" about it except the label and the price.

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I agree. I mix Friskies and Fancy Feast in Teasel's DM to vary the taste and "stretch" it. One reason I haven't stopped feeding it completely is because I don't want to jinx anything in Teasel's management. I know this isn't logical or rational but there you have it. Also, I began feeding it to his overweight brother Woody in early July and so far Woody has lost over a pound. Can't argue with that low carb "Catkins" diet. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.