? best food for hyperthyroid?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ZulusMom (GA), May 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZulusMom (GA)

ZulusMom (GA) Member

My mom's cat is hyperthyroid and has started to lose a lot of weight (non-diabetic for now, but from what I understand diabetes often kicks in with hyperthyroid). The vet has suggested Hills Y/D but I wanted to see if I could get some input here first. The Y/D is high in carbs/low in protein, and there's a good chance she'll refuse to eat it anyway since she's so picky. Are there any other foods (wet or dry, although obviously wet is better) that people have used with any success in curbing some of the symptoms? Raw, unfortunately, is not an option - mom lives on a fixed income and is disabled.
    Thanks!

2. Deborah & Muffy(GA) & Wendall

Deborah & Muffy(GA) & Wendall Member

y/d, like all Hill's products, is a poor quality and very expensive food. It is not a cure and the thyroid tumor continues to grow. There have been no independent studies so the long term affects of this diet are unknown. There's no special diet for Hyper-T but anything that contains fish should be avoided.

Hyper-T affects all the organs but especially stresses the heart and kidneys and is fatal if not treated. Methimazole is cheap enough but it's a toxic drug that has to be given daily and many cats have a bad reaction to it. Radioiodine treatment is more expensive but is a cure.

3. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

I feed Abby who is hyper T but non diabetic young again and Sheba turkey or chicken and I had her left thyroid removed but then tumor is now on right, she is also on methimazole and Xanax 2x a day

4. Gracie85

Gracie85 Member

We have a hyperT cat, diagnosed early last fall. His bloodwork suggested he was possibly diabetic or becoming diabetic, so we started feeding him as if he was, and now he eats Fancy Feast classic pate, exclusively. His questionable blood sugar numbers went down into normal range, so we are continuing to feed him as if he is diabetic, hoping that by removing the stress on his body of processing too many carbs will help keep him under control (for diabetes).
    The only diet that theoretically might help with hyperthyroid is one devoid of all iodine. But it rarely works, and it generally doesn't last very long. Theory is that without iodine, the thyroid can't produce its hormone. But, a hyperthyroid cat has a tumor (almost always benign, not cancerous) growing that produces the extra hormone, and as the tumor gets bigger, it makes more hormone and the cat gets more hyperthyroid. Lack of iodine MAY slow this process for a bit, but it won't stop it, and it won't cure it. Special diet thyroid food is designed without iodine. But not for anything else. The high carb content puts the cat at greater risk for becoming diabetic than it already is because of the thyroid problem. It's certainly not healthy or balanced for what a cat needs. And it probably won't help with the hyperT, certainly not long-term.

A hyperthyroid cat needs to be on medicine to reduce the hormone levels. There are pills, and there are various forms of a cream that you just smear inside the cat's ear. We use one of those, comes in a pen you twist to get the dose squeezed out onto a soft applicator tip, then we just rub it down inside the cat's ear, very simple. He doesn't even care anymore. Got used to it very quickly.
    Here's a link to a very good facebook page for hyperthyroid cat owners: https://www.facebook.com/groups/42301610484/ Great place to ask questions and get advice.

Bellasmom likes this.
  5. ZulusMom (GA)

ZulusMom (GA) Member

Thanks, everyone. I've convinced her to try the ear cream. Diet is still up in the air, since she's more inclined to trust her vet who is pushing the Y/D. I'll keep recommending low carb wet food.

6. Gracie85

Gracie85 Member

Remind her that her cat is more likely to develop diabetes and other health problems now that he is hyperthyroid. If his blood sugar starts running high, it can damage his other organs--kidneys, liver, etc. So, her best bet for keeping him healthy is to feed him as if he is already diabetic--very low carb wet food--which will keep his blood sugar from rising, as well as help his kidneys from all the extra water in his meals. Keeping him on the best possible diet for his overall health, not just the hyperthyroid (which is all the y/d food focuses on) is is best chance for a healthy life for him. If he develops other health problems, then treating them all in combination becomes much more complicated and has less chance of his living his longest, healthiest life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.