best 'quick thaw' method for Raw?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by bettyandhank, May 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bettyandhank

bettyandhank Well-Known Member

I finally bought some Raw (nature's instinct chicken medallions) to try out on my boys. I hadn't thought to take a couple out of freezer and put in fridge to thaw overnight which I know is the safest method.

Is there another way to 'quick thaw' that is also safe? Someone told me definitely not to microwave as with bone in there it can heat up and fragment potentially harming kitty.
    I'd thought maybe a plastic bag in water, (warm? cold?) but then there's plastic residue.

Anyway, I know many of you use these routinely so hoping there is some great method you can share. What's the best/quickest?
    I'd hoped to try them out this afternoon while I am going to be home.

thanks

betty

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

Re: best 'qucik thaw' method for Raw?

well, not sure you even need to quick thaw. half my herd eat the dang things frozen. they just sit there and lick and lick and lick and before you know it, the frozen cube is gone. wth?? :lol:

i like the bag in warm water idea but if you are leery of the plastic what about putting the food in one bowl and sit it in a pan of warm water?? same idea basically but without the plastic

3. bettyandhank

There's a thought.

..and Cindy, it's because of you that I am trying them courtesy of your coupon link not long ago, so thanks for that too!

How's the new kitties?

4. bettyandhank

Ok....so Hank liked it so so OK...once i sprinkled some chicken dust on it.
    he ate about 1/2 of a medallion for a snack.

But my hard-core dry carb addict Elvis...NO GO.
    I just keep striking out with him no matter what. I've tried all the tricks..he licks the tuna juice off the canned without eating the food then walks away.
    He doesn't care about chicken treats, so those don't work...sprinkled or otherwise.
    I've tried mixing some wet with his dry and he ignores it, I've tried the chip/dip method...NO.

The ONLY wet food he has shown any interest in is a particular organic canned beef liver which isn't good for him to eat too often anyway, plus this particular version I discovered has some other issues, and isn't a complete diet anyway just meant to be used supplementally.

I sure was hoping this would be more of a hit...especially for my civvie.

5. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Takes about 10 -20 minutes, I place one or two Nature's Variety frozen medallions in a bowl of luke warm water. I use a large bowl, smaller bowls with water just take longer. Sort of like if you have a frozen bag of cooked shrimp that you want to thaw fast, just toss it in a big bowl of water. Works great.

This way Mr. Darcy can have his raw on command :)

6. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Yay, Betty!! Feeding Raw!! I am a HUGE fan!!
    I thaw out overnight in a plastic container for Baby (Sadi won't dare let her lips touch that stuff) I am going to keep working on her though..
    Anyway.. when I need a quick thaw.. I let it sit out for about 45mins - to an hour & then serve. Baby would probably eat a tad frozen.. but I dont think anything that cold is good for their lil bodies. Anyway.. this is good stuff.. sooooooo happy you are feeding raw!! I do not suggest microwaving at all.. ever. you lose the nutritional benefit of feeding raw. I feed Natures Variety.

7. bettyandhank

Hey nicole- How's Baby? I miss her condo.
    Are you enjoying your freedom?

yeah..but did you read my post...it wasn't such a hit. Hank ate some initially, but we'd only put out 1/2 a medallion, and he didn't even finish that.
    Then i tried tonight again with some of the rest, and he wouldn't touch it.

Blah. My biggest hope was for Elvis, just to find something, anything besides dry he'd eat... But now it looks like Hank may not go for it either.

I wish they would cooperate like Baby...can she call 'em up or something?

8. Nicole & Baby

Betty.. Baby is doing furbaby fabulous! Thank you for asking! Yes.. I read your post, silly!!!
    Baby did not start out inhaling it.. being addicted to it.. begging for it!! We started in bites.. I feed about 1/4 a medallion many times a day.. I sprinkle dust on it & she eats it.. here are some pics I have attached... I put the raw in lil balls, put a drop of water on each ball & then sprinkle dust.. lil momma is beautiful! My mom calls her glow worm.. no night light needed.. she glows from a beautiful diet. Are you on facebook at all? Natures Variety is & there are pics of all the beautiful coats.. yes Baby is on there.. she is a star lol how is Hank? Elvis & Sadi need to get with the diet we want them on.. they are both headaches themselves.. but LOVED soooo much!!

Attached Files:

9. bettyandhank

Yes, i thought of you & used your tricks when I served. & I do remeber these photos when you posted them to traci.
    I didn't put quite as much dust on as that, but i do think it'swhat got Hank's attention the first time. He is a fdcc ____addict.
    2nd time even the dust wasn't a draw. I'll try again today.

Once thawed out, how long before you toss it? is it good after thawed in the fridge 24, 48 hours? more?

How long on the ground do you leave it before tossing? It was pretty clear after `15 minutes last night he wasn't touching it, so i put saran on the plate and stuck it back in fridge w/ dust and all.

That's what we bought, the natures' variety. had a great coupon. So now 2- 3 lb bags of which I can't get rid of 1 single medallion!
    Yep, I'm on FB, though not too active...I hear I need to get on with ya'll. So Baby is on the nature's variety site? I'm gonna check it out right now. How exciting. She's such a covergirl.

betty

10. Nicole & Baby

Hi, Betty-Hank-Elvis ;-)
    I only thaw out a days worth in the fridge - so it is there about 24 hours (3-4medallions), for you right now - it would be 1medallion.
    Anyway.. I think you can leave it there up to 48hours or so.. I am not a meat eater.. so I am unsure about raw meat & normal thawing, etc.
    Also, I leave it sitting out about 30mins - 1hour for Baby & then I either toss it or put it in the fridge freeze dried & all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.