Best supplies/method for testing ketones?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Anonymous, May 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm sorry for asking a question that I'm sure has been asked and answered multiple times. I found the link that talks about what ketones are and that you test with strips (or a special blood meter) but I'm missing the information on how you actually go about getting a urine sample.

Harley was so easily regulated before he went into remission that I never felt the need to test for ketones. Now, however, as we try to get him back on insulin and transition him to the Lantus which requires so many days of waiting for results, I'm thinking I should do ketone tests. Before I run out and buy strips, what do I need to know about the strips to buy and how to collect the samples? Are there options I need to be aware of?

Right now, he is eating well and I believe is staying hydrated although of course he's having to work at it with the high BG. But I want to be sure and prepared.

Thanks.

2. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi there, actually getting the urine sample can be difficult. You become a "pee stalker" and hunt your kitty down in the litterbox. Some things folks have done are put saran wrap on top of the litter. Some kitties dont care and will let their folks put ladles under their butts while they are going. But make sure you label the ladle so it doesnt get put in the soup!!

There are 2 different kinds of sticks.. ketostix which measure ketones, and Ketodiastix which measure both ketones and sugar in the urine. You only need ketostix (cheaper) if you are hometesting blood glucose levels.

You can get them thru Hocks at the affiliate link above, or if you need them immediately any local pharmacy will have them. They are usually behind the pharmacy counter but you dont need a prescription for them.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Lisa, thanks so much for answering my question. Can't wait to try this out! :lol:

4. Beth & Atlas

Beth & Atlas Well-Known Member

Here is another idea...

I have used safflower seed on the days I want to get a keto test done. Kitty scratches etc. just like normal but the urine doesn't get soaked up by the birdseed. :lol:

5. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

You can get special 'no-sorb' litter from the vet (very expensive)....it can also be purchased on-line.

I have a supply of clean plastic pellets that are used in the floral industry to stick flowers into.
    They are plastic pellets about 1/4" in diameter.

You can wash/reuse the no-sorb or the plastic pellets. Just rinse in a big container, strain through a strainer,
    and spread out on newspapers on a tray or something to dry.

Or you can use something like clean aquarium gravel in the litter box. However some cats don't like
    the feel of the gravel.

Put a very shallow layer in the box (1/2"). Tilt the box by placing a folded towel under one end to elevate
    it a little bit. Be sure the box is still stable so kitty doesn't lose balance in the box.
    You want the urine to run to a corner. This works really well if your cat habitually uses
    one area of the box to pee in....tilt so that side is 'downhill'.

You can also use a very small amount of regular clay litter (not clumping) and do the tilt-a-box thing.

Once you have a pool of urine, just dip the KetoStix into it. Follow the instructions that come with it to
    read the result in the number of seconds it says to read it....any color change after that time should be
    ignored.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks "Blue" and Karen. Those are all great suggestions. Things were pretty funny today with me trying other methods. I think a non-absorbant litter substitute is definitely in order! ;-)

7. Dave & Missy

Dave & Missy New Member

I just had to supply a urine smaple for ketone testing with the non absorbing stones & I said no way 1 cupfull vs a regular load of kitty litter but I showed Missy & she was right in & did her business. The Vet supply a suction needle & sample was easy to get. I was really supprised. I had to clean out the litter box extremely well & only use the non-absorb but it went fabulous. (the test showed no ketones)

Good luck

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Dave,
    I haven't gotten into town to get anything special yet, but did manage to get a sample late yesterday by shoving a plastic lid under him. Didn't seem to phase him but your method would be much easier! Our test was negative too. Glad to hear yours was also good.

9. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the creative & successful collection !!!

You will learn we are terribly obsessed here with pee and poop !!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.