BG 22, new low.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by mary hornbeck, Dec 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mary hornbeck

mary hornbeck Member

can someone please advise me. My cats sugar was at a new low of 22 at the PMPS. After guving him karo and 1 can of good it went up to 315, should I still give him insulin? This was at 6p and now it is 7:10p

2. mary hornbeck

mary hornbeck Member

Is my window to give insulin gone? Or didn’t I need to give insulin since BG went up to 315?

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I have to wonder if the 22 was a wonky test strip.....anytime you get a number that's that "out of whack", it's a good idea to test again to make sure

Can you shoot again in 12 hours? If you can, I think you could go ahead and shoot now but I'd drop the dose back down, just in case that 22 was a real number

I'd plan on getting a couple more tests in tonight too just to make sure he doesn't drop back down (like a +1 and +2 to start with)

4. mary hornbeck

mary hornbeck Member

Judt got another reading:
    6p- BG 22, no insulin, gave 1-2 cans of fancy feast and 1/2 teaspoon of karo
    6:22- BG 315
    7:22- BG 345

5. mary hornbeck

mary hornbeck Member

I think I over did it with the karo, I always forget about the emergency cans that have gravy

6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

That's still an awfully high jump, even for Karo and lots of food

I really think most likely that 22 was a bad strip

How was he acting? Any different?

7. mary hornbeck

mary hornbeck Member

Should I give him his dose of 1.75/units

8. mary hornbeck

mary hornbeck Member

Acting normal

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  9. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I'd do 1.5 just to be sure, but I really don't feel the 22 was a valid test. If she was that low she would almost definitely have obvious signs... Like falling over or seizures. I think it was a bad test.

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.
  10. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I am fairly certain it was a bad strip or the blood sample was way too small. If you ever get a weird number like that, retest immediately.

11. mary hornbeck

mary hornbeck Member

I can shoot now

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  12. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

If nothing else, this has been a learning experience. Low numbers can be scary. It does look like a bad strip. It never hurts to do a recheck if you get an unexpected number, either high or low. I'm glad it all turned out OK.

13. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

In 2015 Squallie had a hypo with a number of 22 and was completely asymptomatic, so it can happen. However, I agree that in this case it was most likely a wonky strip, or too small a sample; the Relion meters will almost always give an incorrect, low reading if the sample is not large enough.

Critter Mom likes this.
  14. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Steph & Quintus & L & O Well-Known Member

I'm assuming a human meter? Some cats can go real low and not get any signs. The guideline my vet gave me was that down to 36 on a pet meter (so guessing that could easily be 20 on a human one) there was no cause for panic (and probably no signs). Just putting that out there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.