BG 84 - Stalling, lower dose?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Trick&Christmas, Jun 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trick&Christmas

Trick&Christmas Member

Hi folks - I completed a switch to canned food only a week ago and my cat's BG has been low in the morning twice. I'm stalling right now, and if it is low again when I test in 10 minutes I plan on feeding, testing again, and giving a lowered dose.

He is on 3.25, should I lower back to 3? Should I leave out a snack before bed?

2. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I'm in no position to give advice, but I see you haven't had a reply. I err on the side of caution and lower it...I'd rather the cat go too high than hypo

3. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Deb & Wink likes this.
  4. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Victoria --

It's very hard to offer good guidance if your kitty's spreadsheet isn't up to date.

6. Trick&Christmas

Trick&Christmas Member

Sorry I take pictures and usually add them at night or the next morning. He didn't eat much and I tested it and it was 120 so I skipped. I had to go to the Dr and just got back so I'm about to update and test again

7. Trick&Christmas

Trick&Christmas Member

Okay, whew. I didn't expect to be at the Dr's for two hours, I was just going in for blood work. He is up to 392 now, so I'm just going to resume as normal tonight. I'll test again in an hour to make sure.

8. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

That 84 at pre-shot actually earned Trick an automatic 0.25U dose reduction. A BG level < 90 mg/dL is ALWAYS a reduction needed, when you are using a shorter acting insulin like the Vetsulin. No real SLGS protocol, but I think of any low number like that as needing less insulin.

We REALLY need the SS to be updated, especially when you are calling for help, like with that 84 pre-shot BG level. Please do try to help us help you better. Ok?

9. Trick&Christmas

Trick&Christmas Member

Okay, that's what I was wondering. I dropped him back down. Since I skipped his AM shot, I put all his BG numbers yesterday until the PMPS in the notes.

And I'm sorry about that, I was definitely frantic yesterday morning since I had to run and forgot to transfer his numbers first. I'll remember in the future. Thank you

10. Trick&Christmas

Trick&Christmas Member

[​IMG]

Just sharing my boy's moony eyes. I have to go to Florida for my research next week and him dropping this low twice in a week has me worried about leaving him. My boyfriend is watching him so he's not being boarded and he's going to test his BG before feeding thankfully but I hate that I have to leave.

11. jt and trouble (GA)

Can you make sure your boyfriend can come here in case of an emergency? We will help him through anything that might happen. Would he be open to that???

12. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

That’s a great idea JT!

13. jt and trouble (GA)

14. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Not everyone responds at light speed like you and me lol

15. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Believe it or not, one of the first things we do when we see a low number and a "stalling asking for help" type post, is to look at the SS to see some past history and how experienced and conversant you are with shooting low numbers. The SS helps us to see that.

In fact, I always try to look at the SS before replying to a post. It's that important.

16. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

I can’t see the image :(

how is Trick doing Victoria? Is your BF up to dealing with all the hormones in this forum? ;):D:p:smuggrin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.