BG (alphatrak) 113 - to shoot or not to shoot?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jill & Pansy Panini, Aug 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jill & Pansy Panini

Jill & Pansy Panini Member

Hi all,

After a hypoglycemia scare last week (47 at 10:30 fed a meal; 44 at 5:30 went to ER, treated with dextrose and a meal as glucose up to 171), I have learned to do glucose home testing. We took a break from insulin while she recovered, and the day after her numbers stayed low 96, 103 at various times...and up to 181 after a meal. The vet thought she was in remission. She skipped maybe 5 injections due to hypoglycemia or normal numbers and possible remission.

The next evening, I noticed she was drinking more water so I tested her..349 at 7 PM, 271 at 10 PM (contacted the vet around 11 PM and she recommended 1 unit of lantus in the AM and to bring her to the clinic) and then the next day, 370 @ 5:15 AM prior to her morning meal, insulin shot at 6:00 AM, then final glucose check was 242 at 10 AM. Then we saw the vet at 11:30 AM with all of this info. Vet recommended 1 unit of Lantus twice a day.

I gave her the second "post remission" injection of the Lantus at 6 PM. I didn't test first because Pansy was annoyed after all of the glucose tests and vet visit and her numbers had been high and I was really stressed and upset. But this morning I was back at it and her glucose at 5:15 was 113. Vet had said before don't shoot it glucose is 180 or below.

I guess I won't shoot but will call get today. I am surprised at the low number because Pansy was drinking water frequently.

Any ideas about what may be happening? I am thinking the Lantus is working well and the dose should be decreased from 1 unit to 1/2 unit. Maybe do glucose checks several times today too?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Jill

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

The Lantus forum is the best place for you to post for dosing advice. There are also sticky posts at the top of that forum explaining the two dosing protocols that are normally followed.

It would be helpful, now that you are testing, if you could set up a spreadsheet to record your test results and insulin doses. It makes this much easier to manage and for people to be able to review and advise.

It does sound like you should skip this dose and perhaps resume with 1/2 unit going forward. You should test before every shot and get mid-cycle tests when possible to see how low she is going.

3. Jill & Pansy Panini

Jill & Pansy Panini Member

Thank you for the help. I don't have the hang of this forum yet. I am trying to get the spreadsheet set up on my kindle but am having some trouble. I will go to the lantus forum.

CandyH & Catcat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.