BG at 630

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Pam Barnes, Mar 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pam Barnes

Pam Barnes Member

I just did the last reading for Bo's BG curve and it was 630. Is there something I should do? Here is what it looked like

PMPS 360
    +1 418
    +3 236
    +5 161
    +6 242
    +9 630

I did a reading at +6 because his +5 reading was the lowest I had ever gotten, and his nadir isn't normally btwn +6 or +8. Because his +6 was 242, I decide to skip +7 since I figured it wouldn't go into hypo levels.

Do I need to worry? Is there something I should do? His next dose of insulin is at 6AM.

TIA!

Pam

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Pam, 630 is not a pretty number, but no need to worry! It looks like the Prozinc is working well for Bo. Since 161 is the lowest reading you've seen, he's probably bouncing now and may be high for up to 6 cycles. Just check him again at PS time and shoot as usual. Also be sure to update your SS:rolleyes:

JanetNJ likes this.
  3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

It's a bounce. So nice to see that blue number.

4. Pam Barnes

Pam Barnes Member

I tested him again an hour later and it went up to 746. I freaked, and we are at the Emergency vet now. So afraid of going into Ketoacidosis again.

His spreadsheet is updated now too!

5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I agree - huge bounce after having a nice blue. I certainly hope the ER vet doesn't tell you to boost the dose. You're beginning to see some results at 2 u.

6. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hope everything is ok. Keep us posted.

7. Pam Barnes

Pam Barnes Member

They are going to give him a dose of fast acting insulin to get his numbers down. He tested in high 600s for the vet. Also going to run some blood work and give him some fluids. Oh...and no Ketones!!! He is freely providing them with urine and feces samples.

His regular vet said our next step would be to reduce his Budesonide for 3 days a week and regular dose for 4 days to see if that helped. His numbers didn't start to get crazy like this until we went up to 3units.

8. Pam Barnes

Pam Barnes Member

Poor guy is so nervous!!! :(

9. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

This is what happened to Smoky when he was on vetsulin. My vet lowered Smokys dose of insulin when his numbers were in the 600's and then had me slowly raise it again. She also recently had me change his budesonide to 1 mg every other day. Please keep us updated on his progress. Sending healing vines and hugs :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

10. Pam Barnes

Pam Barnes Member

I was thinking we should go back to the 2.5U of insulin and do the alternating Budesonide doses. I don't like how his numbers have been lately.

11. Lisa and Smoky

I think that is a good idea to lower the dose especially since he seems to be bouncing a bit. It will interesting to see what the emergency vet tells you to do.
    I've always been a bit conflicted about whether or not to follow my vets advice or not. My old vet kept raising his dose by 0.5 to 1 unit every week which only resulted in Smoky having high BG's most of the time. I've also learned that the people on FDMB know far more than most vets know about diabetes in cats. I hope that he feels better soon.

12. Pam Barnes

Pam Barnes Member

Ya...not sure the current ER vet is super familiar with diabetes. I trust my two regular vets though.

13. Lisa and Smoky

That's great that you are comfortable with your two regular vets. I'm still trying to find one that I like, my current vet is a bit overbearing but I'm wearing her down.:rolleyes:

Pam Barnes and Kris & Teasel like this.
  14. Kris & Teasel

:D!!

Pam Barnes likes this.
  15. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Oh I saw her post over on Main Health forum first, now I see the party is here! I should've known! :p

Keep us posted :bighug: Sending more healing vines :bighug:

16. Pam Barnes

Pam Barnes Member

They gave him a dose of fast acting insulin. Waiting about 30 minutes to test BG again in hopes numbers have gone down. If so, they will give him some fluids because he seems a tad dehydrated and then send us home. Vet wants to send us home with a new bottle of insulin in case the one I have is contaminated or gone bad. I'm ok with that.

Sitting in a room with him now. He is walking around and being his normal curious self...and lapping up a ton of water.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  17. Pam Barnes

Pam Barnes Member

Only went down to 641 so gave him another unit of fast acting insulin. So have to wait another hour....urgh! I just want to go back to bed!!!

18. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

So they have given him 2 doses of fast acting insulin in...how many hours?

19. Pam Barnes

Pam Barnes Member

1 unit each time 5:30 and 7:00.

20. Pam Barnes

Pam Barnes Member

He is down to 423...YAY!!! Waiting for blood work results and if all is good, then heading home. ER vet is going to contact Bo's internist (who is the owner of the ER) to discuss changes to his Budesonide and insulin.

Attached Files:

Yong & Maury GA and JanetNJ like this.
  21. Pam Barnes

Pam Barnes Member

Vet just came in and said his blood work looks good...which is so not terms that I am familiar with lately with my little guy and his jacked up health! We will be heading home soon!

Thank you everyone for keeping me company while I stressed and worried about my guy! :bighug:

22. Lisa and Smoky

I'm so glad to hear that Bo is doing better now. Those pics of him are so adorable.

Pam Barnes likes this.
  23. Kris & Teasel

One suggestion so we don't panic when we look at the list of posts - the red 911 can come down now because your kitty has been with the ER vet. :) I'm glad he's doing better!

Lisa and Smoky likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.