? bg consistently high/considering insulin switch

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by William's Mom, Jul 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. William's Mom

William's Mom Member

We recently made the switch to Lantus (3 weeks ago) from Prozinc after only a month on the latter. As soon as we began the Lantus I started seeing higher numbers than ever before and very few, if any lower mid-cycle numbers. Most of his mid-cycle numbers remain in the mid 300s. He does have some stressful extenuating circumstances that have requiered frequent visits to the vet ( a vet tech scraped him while trying to draw blood, William licked it to death and now we're dealing with bandaging and wound care, plus the strange effects of a CONVENIA shot) and what looks like a pancreatitis flare which I'm doing everything in my power to battle. I know that these other issues complicate dosing and raise bg levels, but the pancreatitis was present before Lantus and seemed more manageable while we were still using Prozinc. At least then he would go into the 200s on a semi-regular basis, and, of course, we hadn't even had time to find the optimum dose for him.
    His one blue number was taken by the vet while he was on Valium to calm him during the visit. He was VERY relaxed.

Also, I have encountered some problems maintaining a strict 12 hour schedule. I normally can make it work, but my job is unpredictable and there were some very clear benefits to the flexibility in shooting with Prozinc on my end of things, not to mention, he seemed to be responding a bit better to it, possibly in part because I was able to shoot a little earlier in the cycle.

Thoughts?

2. Mogmom and Goofus

Mogmom and Goofus Well-Known Member

I remember when I started Goof on ProZinc, the vet said to give it couple of months, I did, he was well regulated at about 6-7 weeks. Now he's OTJ.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.