BG draw - alternative sites?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Darwin H., Dec 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darwin H.

Darwin H. Member

Making poor Simba's ears a bloody mess. Using handheld 30 gauge lancet. I think it hurts me more than him but wondering if I should be alternating one or more of his cute pink paw pads? Thanks. :^)

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

The edges of their ears supposedly have less nerve endings, so it is less painful to test there than on their paw pads. And, if their paw pad gets sore from testing, they have to walk on it which probably does not feel great. :(

Are you poking between the vein and the edge of the ear? If you are poking on the vein, you would be getting too much blood, and it would be more painful for him.

3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

4. Darwin H.

Darwin H. Member

Hi, thanks for the quick response. Yes I aim for the edge of the ear after heating it up with rubbing, which he loves - but after 3 attempts gingerly and he starts to get fussy I have to be more firm and probably have hit the vein... ugh. The outside of the ear to the vein looks to be very small target. Hopefully I will get better at this. :^)

5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Seriously....try using something to actually warm his ear. A small sock with a little rice in it (microwave for 15-20 seconds and test temp on your wrist like a baby bottle) or a small pill bottle filled with warm water are easy ways to add heat

They will bleed much easier if the tissue is as warm as possible which means you won't have to poke him as much to get the blood drop

6. Darwin H.

Darwin H. Member

Ok, will try the sock with rice first then the pill bottle/water. Thanks.

7. Coco’s Momma

Coco’s Momma Member

Warming the ears works wonders for Coco! The rice sock was a game changer.

8. Darwin H.

Darwin H. Member

Did the sock trick and I am sold. Won't draw blood without it now! Thanks. ;)

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.