BG lower after meals ? Borderline BG preshot, how ?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Suit Keng Ho, Jul 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suit Keng Ho

Suit Keng Ho New Member

Dee was diagnosed last year May, remission in one month after switch to wet food only.
    Had dental in May this year, contracted ear infection, diabetes relapse. Probably due to steriod ear drops n stress..

He is in caninsulin. 1.2 units 2x a day.

He is slowly recovering, his BG is trending down. Vet advise is to shot if BG above 8.
    But his BG falls dangerously near hypo, so sometimes I skip. Recently, even with skip dose, seemed like his BG drops after meal. This is puzzling, should I be alarmed ? Or happy?

Also this time round, his recovery is not strong, BG hovers around 7. Is there Anything else I could do to help ?

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Wow great! Be happy! Looks like he's trying to go into remission!

3. Suit Keng Ho

Suit Keng Ho New Member

:):) Great to know he on the right track... I tot something is amiss. Phew!!

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

When the blood sugar drops after a meal, when insulin Has not been given, it means that the pancreas is kicking in and doing its job. You should be happy!

JanetNJ likes this.
  5. Suit Keng Ho

Suit Keng Ho New Member

Wow, glad i made the decision to skip his shot this pm. though it was 8.3 (Vet says shot if above 8).
    His BG post meal is 6.3.
    Glad i had historical records of his BG to guide me :)

6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I think when you do feel he needs a shot keep it a small amount. Like 0.2-0.4

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  7. Suit Keng Ho

Suit Keng Ho New Member

Thanks.. much appreciated for the advice !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.