BG only 68 - delay/skip shot?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Liadh & Pagan, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liadh & Pagan

Liadh & Pagan Member

Hi all,

My sugarcat has been on insulin for about a month now. I did a curve yesterday that was all over the map (details below). Now his BG is only 68 and he is due for his shot. (To be sure, I tested him twice and ran a control check on the meter- it's definitely 68.) I'm assuming I should delay and/or skip his shot, but for how long? He seems fine, not acting hypo at all, so I don't think I need to run to the emergency vet? My regular vet is closed. He's happily eating his dinner (1/2 can M/D, more if he finishes that) and I'll test him again shortly.

Curve:

4/11/10 (Yesterday)
    AMPS - 358 (then 3u Lantus)
    +2 - 240
    +4 - 121
    +6 - 141
    +8 - 302
    +10 - 557
    PMPS - 598 (then 3u Lantus)
    +2 - 502
    +4 - 412
    +8 - 388

4/12/10 (Today)
    AMPS - 276 (then 3u Lantus)
    PMPS - 68 (!)

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

i can say you don't need to run to the ER right now :)

but as far as shoot or not, I'll leave that up to others. and I'll see if I can get some more eyes here for you.

do you by chance have any more numbers than what you already posted?

3. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

I posted to you on lantus board--68 is not a hypo number but it is not a number I can tell you to shoot--especially with 3 units!!!!!--
    Who told you to shoot 3 units in the first place??? The Vet??
    That is not the starting dose on our lantus board, according to the protocol we use. We have most cats start at 1.00U & progress from there..
    Please read the stickys on lantus main page to get a better idea of how it works--It is very different than other insulins, more gentle & long lasting.Your numbers today were actually good, but we could not give you any advice on what to shoot as we know nothing about you, or your cat...We are here to help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.