BG - skipping when lower than 200

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by stacysclass, Jun 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stacysclass

stacysclass Member

When BG is lower than 200 is it better to skip the whole insulin injection OR should I maybe give half of the injection? I ask this because whenever I do skip, Sweetie's BG level shoots up the next time I test and obviously that is because I skipped a dose. What are the effects to Sweetie when an injection is skipped?
    Sweetie is on vetsulin 1 unit twice daily. I am thinking I may need to increase to 1.25 because it was lowered not too long ago because of his numbers gojng low. Any advice on this? Thanks!

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

You've managed to post twice. If you're fast, you can delete the one with no responses!

If you're having to skip shots because he is too low to shoot, this contradicts raising his dose.

Instead, you either lower his dose by 0.25 units, or if your test data shows it may be safe, you gradually lower your no shot limit (no lower than 150 with Vetsulin). If you lower your limit to 190, for example, test mid-cycle to see how low he goes.

Also, you might stall 20-30 minutes without feeding and re-test to see if he is rising and if he is above your no shot limit.

And yes, you may reduce the dose; keep track of what you shoot with various starting glucose levels and you may be able to work out a sliding scale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.