BG still dropping

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Anne Biddle, Jun 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

I have given honey BG dropped to 41. Now giving a sauce sensation friskies which I hope will help. Will check him again in 20 minutes. I'm panicking a little bit

2. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Was the 41 a re-test from the 47, or is there a typo somewhere? If it's not a re-test, fingers crossed that it was just a wonky test and the 20min check will be back up!

I have a meeting at work starting soon so I may not be able to hang around.

3. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

Yes a retest after the honey before food.

4. Nan & Amber (GA)

OK, found your other post-- so it was a re-test. Are you now at +4?

Good job with the honey and the friskies. Don't give too much at once, you want him to stay a little hungry in case you have to keep doing this for a while.

Up now, Truffles!

5. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Scrape the gravy off the food and let him have that, a teaspoon or so, not too much as you may have to keep feeding him. Change your title to use the RED 911, Thread tools is where you do that in the upper portion of the page. Do you have the hypo instructions printed out?

6. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

No he’s about plus 3.5 He always eats bless him so that shouldn’t be a problem. Will test in another 5 minutes. If low should I give more food or honey then food? Luckily he has no teeth and seems to like honey. Trying to stay calm ....

7. Nan & Amber (GA)

You're doing great!

Let's see where he is. If below 40, then definitely honey, but in general you want to have a light hand with that stuff-- it can upset their stomachs if they have a lot, and the very last thing you want is to have him throw up. One thing you can do, also, is to add a few drops of honey to some food-- gives both a quick sugar boost and a little more staying power. But again, let's see where he is!

8. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

Back up to 47. I’m panicking Truffles is totally non plussed but impressed with the food. Purring and normal. Do I give more food!

9. Nan & Amber (GA)

Yup, more food, test in another 20-30mins.

I know this is super-stressful, the first time you go through this. And of course Truffles is chill :rolleyes:.

10. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

He’s happy! image.jpg

11. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

Retested @ 72. I can breathe again. Will test again in 30 minutes?

12. Idjit's mom

Cheering! Truffles looks definitely unruffled. A lady that always keeps her cool. You did so well, Anne. I bout had a conniption (sp?) when we had a hypo and it wasn't that low. Idjit just looked at me like "what?"
    You should remove the red 911 from your title now that the ER is over. :)

13. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

Love that word lol. I think I was a bit like a duck. Calm on the surface but flapping about under the water! Just retested now 100 and still expecting food. Gotta love Mr Truffles I don’t think anything will make him stop eating. I should have listened to my inner voice this am and only given .5 this am. Lesson learned. Thank you again for being there it truly helped.

14. Idjit's mom

Cripes Anne, so sorry for the gender mix up. Please don't be offended, and don't tell Truffles. You are new at this, none of us comes here knowing everything. I still know slightly more than nothing.

15. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

No problem, I won’t tell him although he’s not easily offended and I’m certainly not. Lol. Always remember a new mums face when I bent over a prom and uttered “what a pretty girl”. It was a boy - she wasn’t pleased!

Idjit's mom likes this.
  16. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

I should add for some unknown reason he became known as Mr Waffles but I though that would be confusing so went with mr Truffles! Lol

17. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

I posted on your earlier post, disregard.
    The routine is:
    test if BG is below 50 or hovering at 50, give a very tiny snack of something high carb
    wait 20 minutes or so and retest
    is BG is above 68 wait another 20 minutes and test again
    if BG has dropped low again give another tiny HC snack or regular food with a bit of honey or karo retest repeat above until a couple of test show either BG hovering above 68 or rising
    test at 30 minute then 60 minute intervals with no carb intervention to be sure he's holding his own above 68.
    keep SS up to date so we canfollow along.
    This is what I was giving as a guide.

18. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

Thanks Phoebes. That’s basically what I did. Just tested again he’s 141 +6 so doing ok. He’s just had half a can of his normal FF and is a happy chappy as usual.

19. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

Do I test and shoot as normal tonight?

20. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

So he was 298 and I fed and gave .5. Will see what it is in the am.

21. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

289 not 298! It’s been a long day

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.