Bibo acting lethargic!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Taline & Bibo, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taline & Bibo

Taline & Bibo Member

Good Morning,
    I noticed last night, that he wasn't as fisty as he alwasys was, and he wasn't interested in the food as much, like he always is, I gave hin his shot of .15u and checked on him 3.5 hours later and his bg was 106. But I had a family emergency, and I took my mom to the hospital, and I'm going now too for most of the day, it's serious matter. This morning, I tested him and it was 241,I'm gonna give him .15u again, but he's not much interested in the food, he's eating a little but nothing like before. I'm gonna be gone for all day, and I hope, anyone will give me some insight, to what is going on with Bibo. He threw up last night, with couple of long grasses from the garden that he ate in the evening again. I'm not gonna take him to the patio for a while. I'll be checking my emails from the hospital. Good DAy!

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I have no insight since the BGs look OK. Frequently our kitties just have our off days.

3. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Sounds like just an off day -- the ravenous appetite does calm down when the right insulin dose is found because the kitty is able to absorb the energy from the food.

4. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

might be pancreatitis.
    if you can't do subQ fluids, you might want to mix more water into his food and syringe water into his mouth. you could also get pepcid AC from the pharmacy and give him 1/4 tablet (do it once a day to start with). it's easily crushable or popped into his mouth and followed by water.

if that doesn't help him and he's still off by tomorrow i'd bring him to the vet. first thing i'd check is pancreatitis. is he pooing and peeing okay? if not, those are serious enough to bring him in right away to make sure there's no blockage or anything...

5. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

the weird thing about cats is the less they eat, the less they want to eat. Try something enticing on his food: tuna juice, parmesan cheese .... I use forti flora. It is a probiotic, but also makes Oscar go crazy for the food! Sometimes he holds out for it and gives me a look like "well, i am waiting!"

6. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh gosh, sounds like a rough day. I hope your mom is doing ok, and Bibo too. There are a number of things that can cause them not to want to eat - I agree if he's not back to normal by tomorrow it's probably a vet trip. Could be just an off day, or could be something more serious.

7. pamela and tigger

pamela and tigger Well-Known Member

Let him eat the grass if he wants to. It can help settle their tummies. Tigger does this periodically then throws up and right after he is ready to eat.

Can you get a urine ketone check in?

I hope your Mom is okay.

8. Taline & Bibo

Taline & Bibo Member

Hello,
    I just came home to check onBibo and test him, his bg is 110 at+11, and I'm gonna go back to the hospital. Bibo seemed better, he ate his food, and i had my sister stop by in the middle of the day, to check on him. His appetite is less than before, perhaps it's the lower glucose level, but he's eaten most of his food.
    Thank you for your good wishes for my mom. She hasn't been feeling well lately, and the blood result at the doctor's, showed very high level of Hepathic panel, as high as >2600 on ALT and AST. They're running so many test on her, and a liver biopsy on monday. She's never drank or used any medication in her life except, lipitor.
    I will test Bibo again later at night, because, it's too low for any shot any soonr. Hope you all are doing fine.

9. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

his morning number is still too high, so skipping the dose isn't the best thing. but right now your mom has to be your priority and i think bibo will be fine with things as they are now.

do you think a fat zero would be smaller than the dose you're giving (0.15u)? if so, let's try that with the U100 syringes to see whether we can get a shootable next preshot reading every 12 hours

if number is too low at shot time, give a bite of food and see how he's doing an hour later. keep doing that til his number starts going up (it'll tell us he's running out of insulin), then just give a drop of insulin.

otherwise, i'd just expect that he's not going to need insulin much longer and shoot as needed rather than every 12 hours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.