Biscuits 6/23 please see other post

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mollycat, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Mollycat

Mollycat Member

Advice please!

2. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

Test again in 30 minutes and post the hour and number.

You can also feed a little bit of LC but personally, I'd just wait 30 minutes to see what direction he's headed at.

3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

I don't know if you have worked with low numbers before, but take a deep breath first of all. It's not critical yet. Test again in about 30 minutes to see if he's still dropping. Then you can steer with MC or HC food.

Crista & Ming likes this.
  4. Mollycat

Mollycat Member

Thanks he's been dropping pretty fast lately. I fed him some food and I will check a few minutes

5. Idjit's mom

Here is some info I keep on file for low numbers for reference. Biscuits is in good hands with you and we are going to stay right here with you. He might need a tsp or so of a MC food if he keeps going down, so don't load him up too much.

(Low numbers are under 50mg/dL or 2.8 mmol/L.)
    Depending on how carbohydrate sensitive your cat is, feed approximately a teaspoon or less of gravy from high carb food or high carb food only. (If you have a cat with GI issues, using a couple of drops of syrup plus low carb food is an alternative.)
    Test again in 15 – 20 min. Depending on the numbers, give more HC food.
    Repeat the above steps every 15 – 20 min. until your cat tests in the 50 mg/dL (2.8 mmol/L) or above range for 2 consecutive tests. Continue to feed in small amounts to keep numbers in a safe range.
    Test in 30 - 40 min. and repeat the test and feed process until there are 2 consecutive tests where numbers are stable or rising.
    Test in an hour and follow the same steps.
    DO NOT become complacent. If number have risen after one or two tests, it’s important to continue testing. Numbers may bobble up and down as the HC food and/or Karo wear off. DO NOT get one test where your cat has risen from low numbers into the 50s and go to sleep or leave the house. You are putting your cat in a risky situation. When in doubt, leave HC food out.

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  6. Mollycat

Mollycat Member

Thanks I wrote it down to keep!
    Going to test in a few minutes

7. Mollycat

Mollycat Member

My question is, he was 126 this morning should I have not given him the 25 units of Lantus? That's where my problem is. . I'm not sure what is too low in the morning to give and there's usually no one around for advice at that time. I don't always know what to do!

8. Idjit's mom

We need the experienced Lantus users to weigh in on that, I am not knowledgeable enough for dosing advice. Ask today what to do in future with these lower preshot numbers.
    I see Biscuits is at 62 now at +3.5. Good. Test again in 30 and we will see where he's going. Did he have a full meal or just a bitty snack? Was that LC food?

9. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I'm sure @Wendy&Neko and @Marje and Gracie will chime in. That's a high depot built up and out of my range to offer advice.

But a green, wow. Way to go Biscuit.

10. Mollycat

Mollycat Member

Just a spoonful of FF gravy

11. Idjit's mom

We want him to be in the green without extra carb boosts. Let's see how he goes next test. Do you have MC food also? He's just such an appealing little fellow and you have been such a good mama.

12. Mollycat

Mollycat Member

59 at +5
    I have ff pate, ff gravy, friskies pate

13. Idjit's mom

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  14. Mollycat

Mollycat Member

Thanks I appreciate any help!!!

15. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

I’m sorry, I was at a family reunion for most of the day today. Looks like you did a great job steering Biscuit up and he’s started a bounce.

I’m hoping the high dose peeps will weigh in soon for your dosing question for this morning’s AMPS number. This will help bump it up.