Blackie has diabetes!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by 2catmom, May 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2catmom

2catmom New Member

My 11 year old dsh male black cat was just diagnosed with diabetes and started insulin in March. I have been following vet's instructions, but recently had Blackie groomed, and the groomer recommended this site and forum for information to guide me.
    I am now the most confused person on earth, and only want my guy around for a lot more years. I will need a lot of help, because the more I read and talk, the more confused I get. Some of it is my age, some of it is because I have never known ANYTHING about diabetes except how bad it is to have. Now that I've introduced myself, I will go to the main forum to seek some info and connect with people that seek like info. Thank you!

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome! We can help you get on track so post all of your questions on the main health forum. We ALL know that feeling of fear and confusion when your kitty is first diagnosed. :)

3. 2catmom

2catmom New Member

Thank you for the welcome. I want to read more before I start blabbing. First and foremost, I think I'm decreasing kibble and increasing canned food, then I'll work on changing to a higher protein/lower carb soft food. Next, I'm major confused about all the opinions about the type of insulin. Blackie is on Novolin N since March 14. I am reading such conflicting info about it I want to read on before asking questions or making decisions on that. Talk soon and thanks again for the response. I feel like an alien in a new land!

4. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB. As Kris says, we are all too familiar with the fear and confusion that accompanies a diagnosis of diabetes. This is an amazing supportive community and we're here to help you and your furbaby get back to enjoying your blissful companionship!

5. 2catmom

2catmom New Member

Thank you! I'm doing my homework, and then I will have many questions and need much guidance. I'm concentrating on food now, and hopefully quickly on to insulin: keep using the current or make a change.

6. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome Blackie and his Mum!
    We all dreaded hearing our fur babies have diabetes but it is a manageable condition, not a death sentence :). Before you start posing on the Main Health Forum (if you haven't already :p) I'll suggest setting up your Signature with some info about Blackie to answer some initial questions about his situation: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/editing-your-signature-profile-and-preferences.130340/

We recommend home testing but don't want to overwhelm you more so I will hold off on the Spreadsheet instructions, for now ;). If you are not tech savvy, don't worry, we have techy people who can help with the spreadsheet later.

I will leave you with this to read ahead of time since you are doing a diet change and Blackie is on insulin. It's better to be prepared but I hope you never need it: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-treat-hypos-they-can-kill-print-this-out.15887/

7. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.