Blink The Cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Blink The Cat, Sep 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blink The Cat

Blink The Cat New Member

Hello,

I am brand new to this forum and have no idea where I should post this. I made an account for the sole purpose of throwing a final hail marry to try and save my cat. Me and my girlfriend rescued a stray cat dying of starvation a little over a year ago only to find out he has diabetes. We have been treating it for the last 9 months and it is completely under control. The cats name is Blink and he is a little over 3 years old, and he is very happy and loving. Me and my girlfriend love him very much but can absolutely not keep him any longer. We are 21 years old trying to establish our lives and cant have the financial burden. We live at home at her parents house, who hate Blink, and have wanted him gone for months. Blink has an issue with peeing outside of his litter box and her parents now say they need to replace the living room floor, which we will need to help pay for. We have tried everything to find Blink a home but no one will take him due to the burden of the diabetes. We do not want to surrender him to the local shelter because we fear they will euthanize. We have tried to find other shelters in the area but they are at capacity. We do not want our loving Blink to be put down and I am posting this in hopes that someone out there will know someone willing to take him in. We live in the Portsmouth NH area and would be willing to travel a fairly reasonable distance to find him a good home. I beleive Blink has many happy years left and I would hate myself if I was forced to surrender him to a shelter that will just put him down. Any info and advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Try contacting Diabetic Cats In Need (DCIN). They can often help with placing a cat, or give financial help if you decide you can keep him. Good luck!

3. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

I hope the parents have a change of heart for Blink... I am sure he senses their dislike which may cause the peeing outside of the box. I wish you luck in finding a forever home for Blink:cat:

4. Deborah & Muffy(GA) & Wendall

Deborah & Muffy(GA) & Wendall Member

I'm not far from you and can possibly help. Sending a private message with contact information.

Deborah

Cherish Gallagher and Sharon14 like this.
  5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I suspect the diabetes isn't as controlled as you think. Ok lots of questions....

Are you testing the bg daily at home? What are his numbers? What food are you feeding (very important). What insulin and what is the dose.

Have you tried dr elseys cat attract litter? Put multiple boxes around the house? Puppy training pads? What have you been using to clean the pee spots? The cleaner is very important as any scent left at all will cause the cat to go there again. Where in the house are the boxes located? Are they covered or uncovered?

6. Blink The Cat

Blink The Cat New Member

Hello everybody, thank you for your repsonses. I will try to answer all questions asked. We do not test the bg daily at home. He goes monthly to the vet for bg tests and they are always happy with the numbers. It is just very costly (around $120 a visit). I'm not quite sure what the food is, we mix a wet and dry low carb/bland diet recommended directly from out vet. We order the food from Chewy.com but my GF handles the orders. He has responded very well to the food. He gets 2 units of insulin from a lantis pen in the morning and 2 in the evening. To clean the pee spots we use natures miracle urine elimimator from Pet Co. It works well but does have a scent to it. We have multiple litter boxes (uncovered. he will not use covered ones) and we use the puppy pee pads every day around them. This is also starting to get very expensive. He usually covers 2 twice a day and they are almost $50 for a pack of 50. He only frequents 2 relatively secluded areas of the house, so this is where the litter boxes are located. I would love to keep Blink. He is the nicest cat ive ever met. But her parents said he absolutely cannot live here any longer, even if everything is under control, and theyve given us more than a reasonable amount of time to find him a home. We knew when we brought him home that her parents hated cats and woudnt let us keep him, but we werent expecting him to have diabetes and thought we could find a forever home much quicker. We just couldnt let him starve to death outside.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.