Bliss at last and a question about emergencies

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by K. Sya and Sophie (GA), Aug 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K.  Sya and Sophie (GA)

K. Sya and Sophie (GA) Member

Aahhh..power back on for the first time since big storms Thursday night. No more pre-shots in the dark with a flashlight in my mouth and most of all lovely AC. First thing Sya did was splay out in front of the AC vent. Didn't move her out as it wasn't over 90 in the house and I figured the move would be more stressful than the heat (she's not super adaptable), but it was hot.
    Question
    I get that the first 12 hours the insulin can stay in a closed fridge and be OK. The good folks at the emergency vet suggested packing it in ice after that, but seemed like that would get it too cold?? I was lucky enough that my family lives fairly close and they had power, so I moved her insulin over there. Glad I had that option, but also happy not to have to transport the meds twice a day (as are they!)
    Anyone have experience with this, or suggestions?

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

you want to keep it chilled, not frozen, if you pack in ice or use an icepack, you don't want the insulin directly on the ice. if you wrap it in a washcloth and use that as a buffer, it should be ok. there are probably other methods you can use, but that's one that will work in a pinch

3. K.  Sya and Sophie (GA)

K. Sya and Sophie (GA) Member

Thanks! Hopefully won't have too many more long stretches like that, but nice to have options if it happens again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.