Blood Glucose Levels How high is too high?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Marade, Oct 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marade

Marade New Member

Well I finally managed to get a glucose reading from Spidey! Poor little thing I feel like I tortured her beforehand but now I think I finally mastered it! I had trouble figuring out the instructions with the kit but I finally went online and watched that very helpful YouTube video on this site. Unfortunately her reading was 553 (which according to what I've read is very high?) so I immediately called the vet who informed that it had actually been up to 650 at the last test and recommended upping her insulin to 5pts, so I reminded her she had upped it to 6pts after her last visit, she will call me on Saturday after she's given it some thought...

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

It would be helpful if you tell us:
    1. when your kitty was diagnosed
    2. what insulin you're using
    3. what her starting dose was
    4. how often and by what amount was her dose raised since she started insulin
    5. what your kitty eats
    6. whether she has any other health conditions or meds
    7. her age.
    Single blood glucose numbers out of context are very hard to assess. So many things can have an effect. Answering the questions above will help us to help you.

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  3. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Congratulations on finally getting your first test!!!

Is hard at the beginning but it gets easier

As Kris mentioned give us some more information to get an idea of what's going on there are many variables that have to be taken into account when you get a high reading, and yes usually readings at the vet are higher that what you would get at home because stress can raise blood glucose levels.

4. Marade

Marade New Member

Spidey was diagnosed in Spring when we noticed how thirsty and lethargic she seemed to be. Took her to the vet who diagnosed her and started her on Lantus Solostar 'human' insulin at 1pt x 2 daily. She didn't respond. We also started her on Hills Science Diet both wet and dry food as recommended by her vet. She had a really bad summer, with bad stomach problems plus diarrhea and she started urinating all over the house. Her thirst was unquenchable and she made such a mess when she tried drinking from her bowl, splashing the water all over the floor until I realized perhaps she was having trouble seeing the water in the bowl. So I bought her a water fountain, she's not exactly thrilled with that either. She continued to see the vet and when I last wrote she was getting 6pts of Lantus x 2 daily. She is now down to 3pts a day as recommended by the vet but ferociously hungry all the time. I've since been feeding her 'Beyond' Grain Free dry cat food and another wet cat food that is also grain free though not Hills Science diet as I find it very expensive. I'm looking for any recommendations on which good affordable foods are out there? Thanks for your help. Mairéad

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Almost all dry food is much higher in carbs than is good for diabetic cats. We recommend feeding only wet/canned cat food which is 10% carbs or lower. A lot of people feed Fancy Feast pates or Friskies.
    Have a look at this link and choose food that is 10% or less carbs.
    https://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

Are you home testing the blood sugars? It is VERY IMPORTANT that when you swap over to a low carb diet that you are testing the blood sugars to ensure that the blood sugars do not drop too low. Low carb food will drop the blood sugars up to 100points. If they do drop,the insulin dose may need to be reduced. Test before giving every dose of insulin to ensure it is safe to give the dose and test about 5 hours after the dose if you can so you can see how the dose is affecting the BSLs. We base the dose on the nadir.....the lower point in the cycle which the insulin drops the blood sugar.
    She will continue to be very hungry until her blood sugar levels are more under control. You may need to feed her a bit more food.

If you would like us to help you, could you set up a spreadsheet and put in all the BSLs you have been taking. Here is the link. If you have any trouble setting it up, post and someone will help you
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

Also if you could set up your signature, which you do by clicking on your user mane in the top right corner of this page, open it and click on signature. In it write name of your cat, and your name, date of diagnosis of FD, insulin type and dose, meter type, any other illnesses, medications, diet and where you live.

Ask lots of questions. We are here to help you.
    Bron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.