Blood Glucose Monitors...Confused

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Happycats, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Happycats

Happycats Member

Hi. My cat might be starting insulin soon and I am very confused about which monitor to get. So far the Nova Max looks ok with .03 blood sample and no coding. Can someone suggest a simple and most importantly reliable monitor. Thanks.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I like contour best. but i do use them all. relion is cheapest for strips i think.

3. K.  Sya and Sophie (GA)

K. Sya and Sophie (GA) Member

I use Freestyle Lite...not the cheapest, but uses really little amounts of blood...and I'm comfortable with it...which is key

4. drjsiems

drjsiems Member

I use OneTouch Ultra Mini as it runs very close in measurement to my AlphaTrak that I no longer use due to the difficulty of obtaining the strips. Since Jake is in remission, I have been testing him once every two to three weeks with the OneTouch and since I have a few Alphatrak strips left, I do a second test just to compare the two meters. There is typically only a 10 to 15 point difference between the two meters so I feel comfortable with the OneTouch assuming the Alphatrak is accurate since many vets use it.

Judy & Jake

5. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Any blood glucose meter works well. I know someone here recommends the NovaMax.

The AccuChek Aviva is popular because it is cat-friendly and easy to use. But test strips are pricey so shop around for the best prices. Ebay and online pharmacies are some places to buy from.

Wal Mart's Relion brand of meters are inexpensive and works well. But the test strips are only found in Wal Mart stores.

Meters with test strips widely available in many big chain and supermarket pharmacies are OneTouch (the Mini one is the most basic, I think), AccuChek, FreeStyle, and Contour.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.