? Blood Ketone Meter - Reference Range?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Critter Mom, Feb 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi all,

What is the reference range to use when measuring a cat's ketones on a human blood ketone meter? In particular:

1. What counts as normal?

2. What would be the equivalent of 'trace' on a urinalysis strip?

3. At what level is an immediate trip to the vet required?

I know that there is a difference between cat blood and human blood in the way glucose is distributed. Does similar apply for ketones?

Mogs

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Does your meter have reference levels?

3. Critter Mom

It does, BJ, but it links them to high BG. Here is what the leaflet says:

• If beta-ketone result is 0.0 and BG is >=16.7 test again. If same result obtained and does not match how you feel contact your healthcare professional for advice.
    • If beta-ketone result is between 0.6 and 1.5 and BG is >=16.7 this may indicate a problem which could require medical assistance. Contact healthcare professional and follow their instructions.
    • If beta-ketone result is >1.5 and BG is >=16.7 you could be at risk of DKA. Contact healthcare professional promptly for advice and assistance.
    I have no clue how this relates to beta-ketones appearing in cats, nor what to do if ketones are high but BG levels are lower than specified above. My understanding from my reading here is that high BG is not a requirement for a cat to be at risk of DKA if it's throwing ketones.

Mogs

ETA: All reference numbers quoted above are in mmol/L.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  4. Andy & Pimp

Andy & Pimp Well-Known Member

Hey Mogs, I'm sure you saw this because you liked the post, but just in case you missed.....

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...oacidosis-dka-and-blood-ketone-meters.135952/

I hope that helps....

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. Andy & Pimp

Well, now, this site says between 1.5-3

I can see why you're asking!

Critter Mom likes this.
  6. Critter Mom

@Andy & Pimp -

Thanks for those links, Andy. I'm so exhausted that I'm not able to dig up stuff at the moment. I am very grateful for your help. :bighug:

The table at the following link (from your second post) is very helpful:

Urine vs. Blood Ketone Results and Actions Needed

[​IMG]

Also when I followed the links from the DKA primer, I found a very useful thread discussing blood vs. urine ketone testing. This post in particular was very helpful (especially because the FDMB member who authored it had been evaluating data from several cats):

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...ave-spiked-in-over-my-head.31350/#post-325033

Both of the above give the 'normal' range for blood ketones in a cat as measured on a human blood ketone meter as 0.0 - 0.6mmol/L. Now I have a guide for when to monitor more closely.

I am very glad I bought the ketone meter (Abbot Freestyle Optium Neo) and it appears I was right to be concerned about Saoirse's ketone levels post-op. She was at 0.7 on Friday!!! Thank the gods that she started eating. I'm very relieved that she's getting some insulin. I just wish I was stronger and could give her insulin twice a day, but her insulin requirements have dropped since the procedure was done and as she's healing I'm scared of her going low unexpectedly - doubly so because she can't get food while I'm asleep. And I need to sleep or I would not be able to care for her at all and I don't even want to think about anything like that ...

Again, thank you for digging up the info for me, Andy. Very much appreciated. :bighug:

Mogs

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  7. Andy & Pimp

Happy to help! I understand the exhaustion;)

Continuing to send healing vines, prayers hugs and scritches to you and Saoirse!

:bighug::bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  8. Critter Mom

Thank you, Andy. Both of us need 'em. I think I'm actually doing worse than the Munchkin at the moment. (And I much prefer it being that way round. ;) )

Sending hugs and scritches to you and Pimp.

:bighug::bighug:

Mogs

9. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

@Meya14 - of you've a moment, take a look at Saoirse's data.

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.