Blood on our cats stool

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JackieC, Jan 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackieC

JackieC New Member

We first visited our vet with concerns re. blood on surface of our cats stool, at the end of October 2018. Had anal glands expressed.Week after still the same, went back and requested full bloods to be done.Results showed that our cat, called Winkle, was diabetic. Blood sample from fructosomine test showed 420.Vet prescribed tablets called minodiab.I will continue with the rest of a terrible journey, at a later date.The vet constantly told us not to worry re the blood on stools, as this would stop when diabetes was under control.This was his reply to all our phone calls, weekly consultations, two further fructosomine tests, each one going higher.He said no to insulin, despite this that give the Minodiab time to work.Winkle started to have a strange gaite on his hinde legs. Straight to the vets within a day of noticing this and I asked if this was diabetic neuropathy.His reply was a definite NO, to lower tablets as they could be working too well.Returned within a week as getting worse, to be told INCREASE the tablet back to original doseage.Said please was it not time to have insulin? His reply was wait for next fructosomine in 2 weeks!
    So Winkle still had blood on his stools, fruct. still going higher and what I thought was diabetic neuropathy .
    Vets final NO to me on isulin and his insistance that stool and hinde leg problems would improve with MINODIAB ended on that last consultation.We went to another Vet. who had worked for our Vet who had been treating Winkle, the next day. This was last week.
    Winkle was put on 1.5 of Insulin twice a day and had a B12 injection, as it was confirmed, he has diabetic neuropathy and fructosomine in 2 weeks. He also had full bloods done. Sorry for this being so long, I am worried sick for our cat and just wondered if any of you feline diabetic mum and dads have had blood on your cats stools, or has this vet led me completely down the path and up the garden by saying part of diabetes. Our new vet was not aware of bloody stools in diabetic cats.I am just praying that this is not part of another disease.

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Jackie, welcome. I’m glad you’ve taken Winkle to another vet! My cat never had bloody stools. Is the blood bright red or black? Did the new vet get a stool sample to check for parasites? How does Winkle feel otherwise, is he eating and drinking? If you come to the Main health Forum and post your question you’ll get more responses, and we can help you get Winkle on the road to recovery.

3. JackieC

JackieC New Member

A very big thank you, Sharon for getting in touch with me. Winkle is eating and drinking. The blood is bright red. We are taking Winkle back to see our new vet on Friday, for another B12 injection.I will take a stool sample to her.We showed her pictures of the blood problem, which we had previously shown to the other vet.I did'nt mention in my first thread that the vet we are now seeing used to be our vet at the vets we have had these problems with.When she left she notified us of where she was going.The reason we did not follow her, was the distance to travel, with potentially sick cats or the time it would take her to reach us on out of hours. I am now living to regret this, very much. Winkle is 12 and a half and a very much loved indoor cat. Our old/new vet said she needed to get Winkles diabetes problems sorted and on the right route and look at causes of blood in his stools. I am frightened for our baby and feel I have failed him by listening to the previous vet telling us that blood on stools was part of diabetes, and that once MINODIAB tablets had started to work the stool problem would stop!Winkle is now on 1.5 Prozinc twice a day until his next fruct. test when his levels can be seen, by the vet. What a terrible mess a very poor vet has made of diabetes treatment. Just would not listen. He has made a difficult illness to treat more difficult and has lost our Winkle valuable treatment time.SORRY I am going on, just feel so lost and frightened.I will try to post on the Main health forum but my computer skills are far from good, and not sure how to do this.Thank you for your help and time.Jackie and Winkle.

Sharon14 likes this.
  4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Wow that first very was absolutely clueless. So glad you switched!! You can give vit b 12 methylcobalamin supplements at home. Many of us use the brand zobaline from lifelink.... You can get it on amazon.

I strongly suggest that you start testing at home. Fructosamine tests are good for diagnosing but not much value after that. I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC at home.

What are you feeding?

5. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Do try to post, but if you need help to figure it out, just ask.

6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

For info, MINODIAB is just a trade name for human oral diabetes drug glipizide. Glipizide seldom works in cats

7. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

For a human blood on the stool and blood in the stool are two different things. With chronic hemorrhoids streaks on the outside are not always indicative of an internal GI problem. If anyone has never had hemorrhoids consider yourself blessed. Extremely painful and easily explains a strange gait.
    "Our new vet was not aware of bloody stools in diabetic cats." Uhm, how long has this guy been a vet? What possible difference would being diabetic preclude a cat from this condition?

8. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Bright red blood on the outside can indicate a tear (hemorrhoids) or something going on in the lower gestational tract. If it is darker (blackish) that tends to indicate something like an ulcer that has been "digested" so to speak.

I am glad you went back to the vet your trust. I hope Winkle feels better soon. Chin scratches for Winkle. These are for you.:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.