? Blood work results - Vet mentioned slight anemia and high bilirubin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ewalker405, Apr 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ewalker405

ewalker405 Member

Hi All,

I have updated the Labs tab on Wrigley's SS. Could anyone familiar please look at it. I highlighted the cells that showed high or low on the blood report we got back.

The vet mentioned that his bilirubin numbers were higher than before and he could have anemia (HCT is 26). He suggested we go to a different vet next week for an ultrasound to see if something is going on.

Anything thoughts/ideas/advice. Just when I start to relax thinking we can deal with this, we get more bad news that scares me and makes me feel sick.

Thank you.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Tose out-of-range point to a liver problem.
    The slight anemia could be due to internal bleeding or other other problems I did not see a reticulocyte count. That whouc help determine if the body is not making enough red blood cells or that they are prematurely be destroyed. Bilirubin is a breakdown product of red blood cells

3. phlika29

phlika29 Well-Known Member

I am no expert but when remi had elevated bilirubin he had problems with both his liver and gall bladder. Did he suggest any further investigation? Did they test his liver values? do a physical exam? any pain?

4. Patricia & Noodle

Patricia & Noodle Well-Known Member

Wrigley was just in the hospital for DKA, correct? Was he diagnosed with liver disease then, too (Noodle developed it after she stopped eating much)? I'm only speaking from my personal experience, but ALT (another liver value) and RBC were the main two things not "normal" on Noodle's first follow up blood panel (1/26 labs on SS). The pathologist did an additional study of the blood smear to check if the red blood cells were regenerating and they were, so the vet suggested waiting another month and redoing her CBC to make sure both had resolved then and they did (we also completed the full 30 day cycle of Denamarin by then, too). The notes on the blood smear analysis are on her labs as well, perhaps that could help you see if your vet also did that or you could mention the test to maybe prevent the need for a more expensive ultrasound.

Remember, Wrigley was just in the hospital! His little body has been through a lot recently and it will take some time to recover.

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Liver values may be elevated when the cat is using fat for calories. This may happen in starvation and diabetes. Too much fat taxes the liver and stress it. It can result in hepatic lipidosis, which is fatal. Is he eating OK, now? Are you getting decent glucose control?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.