Bloody stools...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sonia & Tom (GA), Sep 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonia & Tom (GA)

Sonia & Tom (GA) Well-Known Member

But I don't know which cat... I am suspecting Tom because of his recent bowel issues but it could also be Minnie. I doubt very much it would be kitten but who knows... Whichever one it is, stool is loose. They have all been getting lax-a-day because of Tom, although I have reduced the quantity and the frequency.

Both Tom and Minnie had full wellness checks with blood and urine testing in the last few months. Nothing out of the ordinary there.

What could this be? I am concerned and will have to be on poop patrol to find out who. :sad:

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I would not be too worried by a little blood once in a while as long as there are no other symptoms. Wad the blood in one area or was it like a bloody mucus? Frequently blood and diarrhea go together because of a GI problem since the diarrhea includes some of he linings of the intestine that sloughed away. If the blood is bright red then it is from the lower intestines.

3. Sonia & Tom (GA)

Poop patrol found it is Tom. Bright red, kind of looked like clot 2-3 spots kinda mucousy, less bloody this morning. He is eating well, found him drinking more but BG 3.7 (67), same old silly self. They are all quite stressed today with my grandmother visiting with her dog for the long weekend. Will keep a close eye. Worried to see that.

4. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

With the lax a day for only one cat and not the others, here is what I have done for Ollie.

I mix the lax a day into a smaller amount than he will want. When he has eaten all of that, he's got his proper dose of lax a day inside him and I then give him the rest of his meal with lots of water in it.

Shadoe does not need to be looser, and I for sure don't want the kitten, Apple, eating any as she is fine right now, but eats everything she can reach, including Ollie's food, Shadoe's food, and then her own food.

I sure hope Tom feels better soon.

5. Sonia & Tom (GA)

Thanks Gayle, I will try that at feeding time.
    Tom being 17 I start thinking the worst when something is out of the ordinary. Then, I see him behaving silly, like trying to steal the dog food this morning, in front of the dog, and I *sorta* feel a little better.

6. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

hope tom feels better -

7. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

I would follow up with the vet if it persists. I think it could have several causes. I see it pretty often in my IBD cats. Maybe the vet would consider a course of Metronidazole.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.