911 bloody wound

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by mucacopatarica, May 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mucacopatarica

mucacopatarica Well-Known Member

What a morning. Today woke me strange sound in the kitchen. I immediately went out the bad and i found young pigeon in my kitchen (with 2 cats inside). Birdy is now safe in box waiting.
    Then i went to my cat Tačka and i found something wet on her hair. When I looked up close i saw it was blood. She have bloody wound and it smells like that time when she had abscess. This wound is on the same side i gave her insuline. Little bit lower but...I dont know what is this and what to do. How to disinfect this wound. I have medicine alcohol (but this will burn her) and creme for wounds.

[​IMG]

2. Julia Rae

Julia Rae Well-Known Member

O would not use medicine alcohol as it will burn and dry out the wound.. peroxide is what I would recomend that and a trip to the vet because if it has a bad smell and from what I can see it is a puncture wound and those are not something to play with.

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. mucacopatarica

Vets dont work for at least 2 hours. Just ER but she looks fine. It is possible that she had little abscess at the point of insuline shot?

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

No peroxide either, on an open wound. It actually damages the healing tissue.
    Use warm water and a clean cloth or cotton ball to gently wash the wound, then blot gently to dry with a clean cloth/cotton ball.

If she was pecked by the bird (?), it will likely be a small puncture. You actually want that to bleed a little to help flush out any debris or infection.

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Just clean it good with mild soap and water and I agree that a vet visit is probably the best thing to do when they open... No matter what caused it, it looks like a puncture and those almost always abscess

I wonder if mama pigeon tried to protect her baby?

Critter Mom likes this.
  6. Julia Rae

Ok was not sure on the peroxide BJM thanks for the catch, I also agree that you need to get that to bleed a bit

7. Julia Rae

when a cat I ended up taking care of had a nail grow into his paw, I ended up soaking it in warm salt water with a tiny bit of tea tree oil and wrapping it with neosporine and changing dressings daily.. no infection and it healed fairly quickly.

8. mucacopatarica

It stopped bleading before i woke up. I think it was not mama pigeon. These two events are not related...she was sleeping inside whed bird came. I think it was small abscess on the point i gave her insuline one day. Is it possible. Wound is not big and not smells bad (its quite specific smell and i smelled it before when she had abscess)

9. Julia Rae

either way the warm wash will help clean it...you might want to try tea tree oil with the wash.. or ouchless wound wash from band aid..

10. mucacopatarica

I dont have tea tree oil but i have boiled water (and cool it down of course) and i will wash the wound with that now.

11. Julia Rae

That works.. how did you treat the last abscess?

12. mucacopatarica

it was about 4 years ago when she was not all ours yet and she was in street fight. At that time i washed it and later grease with creme for wounds and it was ok. No vet needed. But at that time it was much much bigger abscess (now is little one)

13. Julia Rae

then do what you did last time.... face it .. it worked once why not again??

14. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Tea tree oil is toxic to cats. I think just washing with warm, soapy water and then drying and putting antibiotic ointment on it until she can see the vet is the best option.

15. Julia Rae

Wow Marje that I did not know... I was advised to get it for use on my cat in a cat first aid kit by a vet.. not saying your wrong but wow I dont think the vet knew what he was talking about...

16. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

17. mucacopatarica

dont know what to do. The wound is dry now...She sleeps. We must be at vets in half an hour. I dont know if it right to stressed her with that trip. I think i would be ok if they give her some antibiotics (prevention) but i am affreid i will take her there for nothing actually...

18. Catticus Maximus

Catticus Maximus Member

If it is a puncture wound, you want it to heal from the inside out. If skin grows over top too quickly, it can trap infection inside. I would use a needle-less syringe to flush the puncture with hydrogen peroxide first, then flush with saline solution periodically after.

19. mucacopatarica

I decided to go. We are home now and she has new summer hairstyle (really ugly one). These wounds are from shoots....one of them infected little bit (abscess). They gave her antibiotics and i must disinfect these wounds. Vet told me that this is not uncommon.

20. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I think it was better that you got the vet to give Tačka a once-over. Fingers and paws crossed that she will heal quickly. :)

Mogs

21. mucacopatarica

22. Critter Mom

That looks a bit tidier. And a bit punk!

Wishing Tačka a speedy recovery.

[​IMG]

Mogs

23. mucacopatarica

She is not feeling well. She is not comfortable right now and dont wanna eat (anything). I dont know what to do...Maybe she is in pain. I have some painkilling syrup since last time (when she had urinal problems) but i dont know if it ok to give her that.

24. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Can you call the vet to ask? That's what I would do.

25. mucacopatarica

Her vet doesent work anymore (It is saturay 18.00) I can just call ER and they allways says to come there...

26. mucacopatarica

I think she is not in pain (she sleeps) but she have some kind of sickness. maybe antibiotics? Before vet she was ok (despite wound) and she was eating normally.

27. Critter Mom

The antibiotics might be upsetting her digestive system. Try some of the following:

Persuading your cat to eat

Mogs

28. mucacopatarica

I am affraid to give her evening shot...dont know what to do. i have 1 hour to make a decision...

29. mucacopatarica

I cant open link :(

30. Critter Mom

Perhaps post on the L&L board for input? (Paste a link to this thread in the new condo to save yourself having to type out a lot of explanations.)

Mogs

31. mucacopatarica

I allready did that an i am writing on both boards the same...

Critter Mom likes this.
  32. Critter Mom

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  33. mucacopatarica

Now i saw that she drinks a lot (is this symptom od nausea?). And i tried with syringe without needle and miamor pate with warm water and she ate. I have just tried because i dont want to affect PMPS. But i think she would eat like that. Maybe if i give her lower dose today instead skipping it.

34. mucacopatarica

I dont know what to do. Crying...She have 342 BG now but she is in really bad condition. She dont wanna be touched (she is growling if i touch her). I will call ER but i dont know what they can do (they dont do diagnostics during the weekend) and i think it s really bad to move her right now.

35. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Drinking a lot could just be the increased glucose; it gets processed out via the kidneys.
    When fasting a cat before a procedure, a vet may have you give only half of what you normally give. If you have not given any insulin, even without eating, a small dose (about 1/2 or 1/3 of what you normally give) would help bring that down and make her more comfortable.

36. mucacopatarica

"We are home now. She got infusion and they did blood tests. Her blood picture is actually really good. She has little high red blood cells and BG. She obviously have sickness and high blood glucose of course (23) but that i can understand-she was at vets twice today and did not get evening shot. Now I am 3 hours off the schedule. And i must give her food in half an hour (she got some medicine for her stomach). I dont know now should i give her insuline today or not, and if, how to go on schedule again?
    Vet and her assistant were really suprised when we told them how old she is. They could not believe :D"
    And she is hungry again...

Sarah Smith likes this.
  37. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

For gradual changes with Lantus, shifting the time 30 minutes per day seems to work well.
    Other options include
    1) Skipping until the next regular time. If she has not ever had ketones or diabetic ketoacidosis, this can work just fine, with a transient day of high numbers.
    2) doing 2, 18 hour intervals and then you'd be back on schedule.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.