Bo, BG and insulin levels

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by tangle44, Aug 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tangle44

tangle44 New Member

Hi Everyone. I am new to the site. After reading all of the great info here, I got approval from my vet to switch my cat Bo to wet food. After reading alot of the comments and background, I know that his BG should lower once I start this. I am really concerned about his insulin level dropping too much. He is currently on 0.8cc of vetsulin twice a day. His BG before I give him the vetsulin is typically around 300-350. I should state that he is 29 pounds. I am really afraid of overdosing him with insulin once his BG starts to drop. Firstly, I want him to be heathly, and secondly I have no funds for the emergency vet right now. Does anyone have advice for this? Also, how do I create a spreadsheet with his BG ranges? Finally, sometimes I poke and poke his ear and get no blood. I am poking in the tips, near the top of the ear. Thanks so much!

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Insulin is measured/dosed in units, not cc,
    If you really giving 0.8 cc that would be 32 units of Vetsulin.
    How much Vetsulin are you giving? What syringes are you using?
    Vetsulin a U40 insulin (40 units per cc while most human insulin are U100, 100 units per cc.
    There are both U100 syringes (orange needle cap) and U40 syringes, red needle cap.
    Vetsulin has max effectiveness/lowest BG about 4-6 hour after injection. Dose is based on getting the lowest BG of about 100. With better control getting a low of about 80 is better.

3. tangle44

tangle44 New Member

I will check first thing when I get home tonight. Thanks!

4. Misterbeesmom

Misterbeesmom Well-Known Member

Sounds like you might be testing a bit too high on the ear? Aim for anywhere in this 'sweet spot'
    I have had good luck even further down just beneath the sweet spot, where the ear starts to crinkle a little.

Attached Files:

5. tangle44

tangle44 New Member

Hi Larry and Kitties, I checked the packaging on my syringes. They are 30 unit syringes. I am giving Bo 8 units twice daily.

6. Larry and Kitties

But what kind (U100 or U40) syringes? Both come in 30 units per syringe. Is the needle cap red?

7. tangle44

tangle44 New Member

I have attached a picture of the packaging. The needle caps are orange. IMG_20160824_121635 (1).jpg

8. Larry and Kitties

9. tangle44

tangle44 New Member

I misspoke about the cc. I am pulling the syringe to the 8 unit mark.

10. Larry and Kitties

You always report the units given, not the volume. So when you draw up Vetsulin to the 8 unit marking in a U100 syringe you are drawing up 3.2 units.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.