BOO BOO Leaving Hospital

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Arthur Rindfleisch, Sep 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arthur Rindfleisch

Arthur Rindfleisch New Member

Hi there

My Burmese cat may leave hospital tomorrow but she's not yet eating. She has Pancreatitis and DB2.

I'm new to all of this. Do you have:

1) Critical questions I should ask the Dr
    2) Any thoughts about settling her in and managing my own anxiety?

Many thanks

Arthur

2. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

This is the link to your Welcome post so that people have some more background:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/help.184017/#post-2043141

With pancreatitis there are a few things you need to have...ant-inausea meds. I used Cerenia but others have used Ondansetron(Zofran). Another med is something for pain control. Many people will use Buprenorphine...it is available on this side of the pond in liquid or injectable. Depending on how dehydrated Boo Boo is fluids may be required, but if you are tube feeding you can give extra fluids through the tube.

You might want to change your Title to something like "Newly diagnosed coming home from ER with feeding tube Need Advice" There are a number of people who have tube fed and this will get their attention quicker. The more specific you can make the Title the more responses you are likely to get.

JanetNJ likes this.
  3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Do you know which insulin she will be using?

What I would do today in the meantime :

1. Research low carb wet foods available there. No dry food, not even perscription.

2. Purchase home testing supplies. I use a pet meter, but most on here use a regular human meter.

Find a meter available by you that takes the smallest blood sample size (.3)

28 gauge lancets

Extra box of test strips

Cotton pads to go behind the ear

Testing will ease a lot of your anxiety because you won't have to guess if she's too high or too low.

Music is great for reducing stress. Look on YouTube for "healing music for cats". Music can do a lot to calm people anxiety as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.