Boozer acting strange.. Please Help.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by artnerdjenben, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. artnerdjenben

artnerdjenben New Member

Hello,
    Boozer has been OTJ for a few weeks now. We are still checking his blood once or twice a day and getting readings in the 60's through 90's with his ReliOn reader. We have been giving him more food, he is on Purina Kitten a can and a half twice a day because I am still concerned that he may go hypo. Over the last day I have noticed that Boozer is running up to his litter box several times an hour, however, he is not really peeing or pooping more than normal. He still has a great appetite but I fear that he may have a bladder infection.

My questions are-
    Is there a sickness that he could be getting because he is OTJand has lower BG levels?
    Can I treat a possible bladder infection at home and if so how?
    Is his sugar levels dropping to the 60s causing him to not to be able to urinate?

Any and all advise is always greatly appreciated.
    Jenn and Boozer

2. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Jenn, running to the bathroom doesn't mean UTI, it could be cystitis which is not to be treated with antibiotics, rather with pain meds. Basically, you need to take him to the vet for a cytocentisis and then have the urine tested via culture and sensitivity. For more info see Dr Lisa's site www.catinfo.org

3. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

A cat who is not on insulin cannot have a hypo episode, from what I understand. So that's one less worry for you. :)

4. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Hi,
    To add to Jen's post, a kitty that isn't on insulin cannot hypo.
    60's-90's are non-diabetic numbers-way cool! Means kitty is nicely diet controlled.

When kitties are spilling glucose in their urine it can make them more susceptible to infections (nice sugar for them to feed on), but with an OTJ kitty, shouldn't be spilling glucose in his urine.

You say not peeing/pooping more than normal-so is he peeing/pooping as much as he usually does?
    It can be hard to not be over observant with a diabetic kitty, but if your worried in anyway I would take him to the vets for the very least a check up to set your mind at rest.

5. artnerdjenben

artnerdjenben New Member

Thanks for the info about him not dipping too low on BG levels. He was 61 today at 5 hours after he was last fed so I told my husband to give him another half a can and Boozer ate that up right away.

It seems like he is just going to his litter box and standing there like he wants to go but can't, he is in there for a minute, tosses around the litter and gets out and starts meowing. Last night he went in twice in a fourty minute period. This morning he went in twice in a half hour. Again, standing in his box but not doing anything (that we could see anyway).

Thanks for the feedback, I think he just wants to give me gray hair.

6. Jen & Squeak

It could be serious or it could be nothing; if he's blocked then it is very serious. If this has gone on for a day I'd get him in.

7. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

personally, having nearly lost one of mine to a blockage, i'd take him to the vet and have him checked. if he's going to the box a lot but not producing something it could be irritation, blockage, etc....

blockage at least gets dangerous relatively quickly. my tiger was fine one day and on death's door the next.

8. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Me again

Your last post to me is saying he isn't peeing.

If that is right, I agree with Cindy et al, he should go to the vet as soon as possible.

Paws crossed he's o.k

9. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I would take him to the vet. Those are similar symptoms that Spot had before they discovered she had a huge mass inside her. It would be best to have the vet check him out thoroughly including possible x-rays.

10. Victoria & Sundance

Victoria & Sundance Member

Your numbers are great non-diabetic numbers. No need to feed at 60 unless he's super hungry. You don't want to over feed him. When Sundance was OTJ she between 50 and 65 most of the time... she was sometimes in the 40s and feeling good.

He should see a vet about the litter box behavior. Sundance did get a couple UTIs after going OTJ... it could be that or it could be something more serious... But with elimination issues, they need to be seen too right away - they can become very serious in a short time. Not to scare you... just to make sure you know that he needs a vet. You were right to say it is not normal behavior.

11. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

The kitty should go to the vet. Could be an infection or a block, if it's a block, the sooner the better, I'd try to get to a vet tonight if you could. I lost a cat years ago to a block.

12. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

I'msorry if I missed something but if Boozer isnt a kittenwhy are you feeding him kitten food? Please excuse if I've missed something.
    Jeanne

13. Victoria & Sundance

Jeanne, she said she is feeding him kitten food to keep him from going hypo. A few of us have told her that he's not going to hypo without insulin.

14. jt and trouble (GA)

I know that Vic. I was just wondering if that might be what Boozers problem was. Too much rich food? But I guess that was too subtle. I dont know I was just wondering. I didnt want to offend anyone.

15. Victoria & Sundance

No problem, Jeanne... I didn't get what you meant, sorry... The food itself is certainly something to think about.

16. artnerdjenben

artnerdjenben New Member

Thanks for all your help everyone, I just got home and it is too late to get him to the vet tonight. I am going to change out his litter box so I can monitor what he does in it tonight and put a call in to the vet in the morning. My husband was here with him all day and said that he only went to the box once.

Our vet also told us to feed him kitten food, but I can see where the richness of kitten food could be causing him some problems. It seems like everyone here is happy with Fancy Feast, so we will start transitioning him to that.

I was so excited to have him OTJ so quickly but as always its one thing after another with this fur ball.

17. Jen & Squeak

Kitten food would not cause urination problems; he may have a UTI, cystitis or have crystals. If this is not resolved tomorrow am he needs to be seen by a vet.

18. artnerdjenben

artnerdjenben New Member

Re: Boozer acting strange.. Update

Thanks for all your help everyone.

I changed his box and before I was out of the room he was in his box. I looked and it was red. We rushed him to the emergency vet, they tried to get a urine sample but his bladder was empty, they also did an ultrasound. They did not see a block or crystals. He received a shot of antibotics and we now have oral antibiotics to give him at home for what they assume to be a bladder infection.

As soon as we got home he urinated more blood and had a nasty bowl movement. I am going to try to get a urine sample to get to the vet tomorrow.

Thanks again for everything!!!

Jenn and Boozer

19. Spacey & Ella

Spacey & Ella Member

Keep the fingers crossed that he will get better soon! cat_pet_icon

20. jt and trouble (GA)

Sending prayers for Boozer...

Jeanne

21. Jen & Squeak

a urine sample from home won't work, it must be one taken via cytocentisis otherwise the sample may have been contaminated

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.