Brenda

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by brenda noll, Mar 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brenda noll

brenda noll New Member

Just found out last week one of my kitties, Missy has diabetes. (She and her sister and brother were hand raised by me when they were abandoned by their mother at less then 24 hrs old.) That explains why she has lost weight in the past year and why there was always so much pee in the litter boxes. I just thought it was because we have/had 7 fur babies in the house. Grandpa Friskie just passed away at the ripe ole age of 24 so we are down to 6. Missy came down with a temp last week and just didn't feel good. So I took her to my vet and after a blood test we found she had blood sugar level of 430. I was in shock, I had no clue. She always has loved playing in the water so I didn't think too much about it when she would always hang out at the water fountain, jump in the tub when I ran water to take a shower. We have always called her the baptizer because she loves putting anything and everything in the water and playing in it.
    She spent a couple days at the vet as she had ketosis. She is on insulin and goes back to vet next week for her curve check. I did much research about high protein low or no carb cat food. They all (all are over weight) are now switched to Young Again Zero Carb cat food. I did not switch slowly as Missy needed off the store bought high carb junk right away. With this new diet she should be able to get off insulin at some point. I check her blood sugar level twice a day to make sure she isn't becoming hypoglycemic being on insulin and zero carb diet. Will monitor her blood sugar daily and watch for it to start to decrease as her body adjusts to the new food and then be able to be off insulin. My vet is very positive and helpful with the diet change for all kitties. She may even convince the owner of the vet clinic to carry the YA cat foods instead of some of the other brands. I have done a lot of reading and research concerning the cat food and diabetes and am happy with what I have found in the YA cat food. Will keep you all updated on her progress

2. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Welcome Brenda! I'm so sorry that Missy has developed Diabetes...this forum is the one place we'd all rather avoid..not because of the lovely folk that 'live' here...everyone is wonderful, and we all want to help you and your furfamily live long and prosper!

Grandpa Frisky was 24??!! Wowzer..his long life speaks well of how you care for your kitties..you're a grade A, super CatMom! :cat: Take a deep breath, the folks here will do everything possible to help you with the first weeks of learning to live with a diabetic kitty.

Wet food is best, but if you can't get wet food into them.:confused:...Young Again is one way to hold down the carbs. I offer YA myself, to my kitties, to fill in any hunger gaps when I'm passed out on the keyboard.

Watch for the Sudden Change Of Diet Runs...an abrupt food change can be a challenge. And please do keep on offering wet food, anything you can tempt her with..but no gravy canned foods, ok? She needs classic pates..Fancy Feast and Friskies are a good choice for folks with large cat-families, as cost can become an issue.

We are so glad you're here..Right now, in this forum, you're standing on the "Welcome Mat"....so come on over into the Main Forum and pull up a virtual chair..Everyone around here hugs like crazy, so here's a few to get you started...:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.