Brittle Diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lily-Fish, Feb 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Did you do another test before leaving?? That was a huge drop and it is hard to say how much further she may drop yet.

ETA: Lily has already hit hypo numbers in the past so I am concerned since there does not appear to be a clear cut nadir (lowest number) for her cycles

2. Tuxedo Mom

The best I can estimate is that her nadir (lowest number) seems to be around +6 hour. If that is the case then she may still drop for another 2 hours. High carb food may keep her numbers up but you can't be sure. The amount of the drop is concerning to go from 24.1 (434 US) to 3.3 (59 US) in 4 hours. This is worrisome.

3. Lily-Fish

Lily-Fish Member

I had to leave her immediately after. I'll be home in an hour. I genuinely hope this'll be okay

4. Tuxedo Mom

If you will be home in an hour then she should be okay but for myself, I would have retested before leaving. Some lunches take hours :) so I would definitely be concerned about leaving her for several hours with numbers dropping that quickly. Her number at last test is still in a safe range but I would test her as soon as you get home and repost for advice if necessary.

In order to get more attention on your post you should start a new post for today with a new title and using the "?" icon in the title or the "911" icon if it is an emergency. Older posts often get missed which is why we start new posts each day. You can "link" this post to your new post so people have all the information in one spot

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  5. Tuxedo Mom

Also anytime you get a number that shows so much of a drop you should retest in case the reading was incorrect which can sometimes happen. It is a good idea to try to get a +2 reading with Lantus, especially if you are going to be going out. A bigger drop at +2 can indicate an active cycle. and you should post in the Lamtus forum for advice since it is more active

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/lantus-glargine-levemir-detemir.9/

6. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Oh gosh! Really hoping everything is OK.... :nailbiting:

7. Lily-Fish

Lily-Fish Member

Hi all,

Thanks for all of the advice. I will, in future, post in the Lantus forum regarding her numbers. Just to update though, got back, retested and she was at 9.7 (Or 175 US). I may have tested myself? I was bleeding at the time, so potentially took my own blood sugar!

She is a happy girl!

8. Tuxedo Mom

I am SO glad to hear that she is fine. It is always very worrying when you see such a big drop in numbers like that. Most likely you will find her numbers will be higher tonight. With a big drop kitties tend to "bounce" into higher numbers sometimes for a day or two. This is quite normal and nothing to worry about.

I hope you had a nice lunch in spite of worrying about the numbers :bighug:

ETA It would be a good idea to mention in your comments section on the spreadsheet what you gave for food at the +4. It seems to have kept her numbers up fine so it is good to know what works

Lily-Fish likes this.
  9. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

10. Tracey Perez

Tracey Perez New Member

Dont give up where theres a will there is a way for lily . Its funny you mentioned the high bp and low bp because they said that to me tonight from the hospital with Midnight and at 10 pm she said it was very low and they have been working on him for amn hour so instantly in my mind being in the medical feild " Did he have a code and stop breathing?' however thats my paranoia because I am not physically holding his paw, and new to all this . Im so glad Lily is eating!! Yayyyy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.