Bryce GH Results

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Debbie and Bryce, Jul 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Debbie and Bryce

Debbie and Bryce Member

Hello all -

Well, if our heads weren't out of the sand before, they are now! Bryce's GH results came in at 12.8. So, with the IGF-1 of 429, I'd say there is NO doubt our little girl is in the early stages of Acro. U of MN agrees and so does our vet. You guys knew that, but we were still digesting it.

What's interesting is that our vet called U of MN and spoke with the person who does the testing. Word is that they see many cats in the 30-40 range (GH test). They said that although the paperwork says that <5 is normal, they advised that normal was more around 8-10. So take that for whatever it's worth.

Bryce is doing well, and we feel fortunate about that at this point. Not sure what's going to happen from here. Her numbers have been pretty good, with a lot of yellow, some blue and an occasional bit of green. So, I guess we'll see what comes along. Will continue to check in when I can.

Hope everyone is doing well. It's great to see more activity on this board!

2. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

Hi there! Sorry to hear about the test results, but you are among many. Welcome to our family. For now, I can not post a long post but I wanted you to know you can find many of us on facebook. If you are on there, just send a friend request to me at wnstnbabe at gmail dot com and I will friend suggest the others for you. Often that's the fastest way to find us.

Since you have a positive acro test, I would caution you to stop pushing for green as it can be very dangerous for an acro. Looking at your spreadsheet, I'd recommend 1/2u decrease for now because acro's having functioning pancreases and this can lead to an hours long hypo, in particular on insulins such as Lantus and Levemir.

Will be back later, but wanted to send you a ((((hug)))) and some chin scritches for Bryce..
    ..Carolyn

3. Patti and Merlin

Patti and Merlin Member

Hello Debbie
    Just wanting to send some warm words of encouragement to you. Bryce is one lucky kitty to have a mom so dedicated to his care.

On a lighter note and maybe one to lighten your heart a bit for Bryce - would you like to include him in the upcoming 2011 acrokitty calendar. We would love to have Bryce. Let me know - you can see posts about it below this one.:)

4. Debbie and Bryce

Debbie and Bryce Member

Thanks to you and Patti for the replies. I'm not on Facebook, but will take note of how to contact you, if needed. A couple others have pointed me in the Facebook direction before. Problem is that I just don't have the time to keep up with it. I struggle to find time to even check this board.

In regard to Bryce's #'s, we realize she's dipped a little low at times. We hear you...and understand. But, we also know that Bryce's #'s increase quite a bit when she doesn't get her 10U (at least right now). As you can see, tried backing her down to 9U and fat 9's, but it's just not as effective. We're watching it, and WILL back it up again if we see too much green. Truly appreciate your feedback on this.

Patti - Need to review your "calendar" post. Will get back to you on this. Again, thank you both! :smile:

5. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Debbie,
    There is nothing to keep up with a facebook account. Actually, I find it much better in a fix because you will likely find more acromoms present on fb than on here on a regular basis.
    If you post something here, asking for a quick answer, you more than likely will receive suggestions to see if you can reach some of the acromoms on fb.
    At any rate, you can just set up your account on fb and be prepared in the eventuality that you need to use it.
    Better safe than sorry.

6. Girlcat

Girlcat Member

In regard to Bryce's #'s, we realize she's dipped a little low at times. We hear you...and understand. But, we also know that Bryce's #'s increase quite a bit when she doesn't get her 10U (at least right now). As you can see, tried backing her down to 9U and fat 9's, but it's just not as effective. We're watching it, and WILL back it up again if we see too much green. Truly appreciate your feedback on this.

hi Deb...from looking at your ss for bryce..10 units looks bit high,yet 9 isnt enough.can yu try 9.5 units with bryce? when bryce goes into those 40s thats an indicator of a bit too much on the dose.i think shaving off that half unit may be in a better zone for bryce. any time yu get those low numbers u will see an increase which we refer to as either a bounce or a rebound.this is the livers way of protecting a cat .the liver will release stored glucose into the sytem and youll have those higher numbers,which clear out.this is why we do SS #s so we can see whats going on.is a little hard to explain but im thinking bryce may do better on 9.5 btw am an acro mom too

7. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Re: facebook --
    If you set up an account there, you can get email notifications if anyone posts on your wall -- or if you post a question to someone else, you will get an email when they reply.

Also - if you post your question or condo as your own status, all your friends will be able to see it and comment.

Again - when they do comment, you will get an email. So -- you really don't have to camp out on FB all the time. There are a lot of free games, that many of us indulge in when we have some free time or in my case -- avoiding housework.

8. Debbie and Bryce

Debbie and Bryce Member

You guys are great...thank you. OK, I will seriously consider a FB account.

And, since I'm sitting up late again watching Bryce hit "green", I agree that moving down .5 to 9.5U is a very good recommendation. She usually has some extra food and those #'s jump back up, but that's not happening tonight. She'll be fine though.

She's such a good girl. She hears the water heating in preparation for a test (to warm a little towel), and she'll come and sit right where I test her on the floor. In the morning if I take too long to make my lunch (for work), she'll tell me it's time to test (because breakfast is right after testing). She has a great disposition. Just wanted to share a little about her. She has a sister, Aspen, who looks completely different (gray and ~3+ lbs lighter).

Ok, thanks again for the good advice. I'll go read Patti's info on the calendar now! :smile:

9. Girlcat

Girlcat Member

hey deb just saw the 1/2 unit decrease to 9.5.great! may take a few cycles to settle to see where she is but im hopin that that liitle shave off is suficient for her. looks good so far.keep with the spotchecks with her and we will be on the sidelines for ya

10. Debbie and Bryce

Debbie and Bryce Member

Thanks for looking in on us! She had surprising high #'s today. When she hits 300+, we give her 10U. But, our plan is to keep her at 9.5 U. Will be doing a full curve on Sunday. Going away on vacation mid-week...hate to be gone for a full week, but there are elders to see up North, and other things that need to be done. Luckily, we have a vet-tech who baby-sits for us and is VERY good. Always tough being away from our girls! Thanks again.

Deb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.