BS reading question

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by shawna, May 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shawna

shawna Member

Hi all,
    I have a question...how accurate are BS readings suppose to be if you were to do two tests one right after another?

I tested him and it was 104 and then I tried his other ear out of curiosity and it read 88.

Does that mean my relion is broken? Or does just happen...and if so, which number so I put on my spreadsheet?

2. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

That's really within the 20% meter variance, which means it's basically the same number. I usually just pick one...or you can put both (104/88).

3. shawna

shawna Member

Oh ok thanks, well on the spreadsheet 104 is blue and 88 is green, so it bothers me not to know which....but I didn't realize there was a 20% difference range. Wouldn't that be scary if the meter read 44 and really it was lower???

Do you know if the alpha tracker has that same 20% difference?

4. shawna

shawna Member

His pm pre shot was 179, does that mean no insulin????

5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

You could try a no shot but get a test or two in before bed tonight. This PS is on the margin of being high enough to give a small dose but some more data would help.

shawna and Djamila like this.
  6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Alphatrak has a 15% variance I believe.

shawna likes this.
  7. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Did he not eat 2 hours prior to the PS test? Just checking ;)

shawna likes this.
  8. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Wow! He came down from 179 to 120 all on his own! That's so great!

shawna and Rachel like this.
  9. Kris & Teasel

Really good BGs! I saw your SS comment about no pooping yesterday. He might have emptied himself out at the vet's. However, I'd get some of that stuff Beth73 recommended and start using it ASAP so the problem doesn't build. How is his pain?

shawna likes this.
  10. shawna

shawna Member

No he didn't, his PS was exactly two hours after I gave him the snack

11. shawna

shawna Member

Ok I hope he goes today! I ordered it on Amazon so as soon as it comes in I will.

Guess what? This morning he was WALKING AROUND!! first time in weeks.....
    His appetite is back. He still has lots of pain in his back legs and actually his front paws bend in sometimes too. And when he moved I can tell he is still in pain. But ever since the vet he seems a little better - do you think it was the B12 shot? Can cats get the shots or just take the supplements? I orders those too.

Also his ps tonight was 156 - no insulin ? Or should I try to get his levels around 100 with a dot of insulin???

12. shawna

shawna Member

And when I say walking around, he is wobbly and slow and in pain, so I don't mean walking like normal. I just mean he is moving and I'm so glad to see this!!!!

13. Kris & Teasel

I think B12 can perk them up. I don't have any experience with it but there are many here who give the supplement to help with diabetic neuropathy.

As for insulin, I don't know what to suggest. It's worth asking on the main forum for advice on microdosing.

shawna likes this.
  14. shawna

shawna Member

Ok thanks, just posted :) I know what the too low number is, and I know I've been told what the good/goal is, but now I can't remember ....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.