Bubba 4/13 AMPS=105, FS, +3.5=80

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Bobbie And Bubba, Apr 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

The Day Before Last

Good Morning L & L ~

We started the day with a FS. :banghead: Smelled insulin on my fingers and on Bubba's fur. Guess he'll get a pokey break today after I confirm at the +3. Other that that, status quo. I reduced his dose to .65 the night before and this FS sure doesn't help :rolleyes:

Vines to all kittes and beans in need.

OT:
    @LizzieInTexas yes, Forrest had his urinalysis yesterday. I had a feeling he would pee in the carrier on the way there and he did so I did not put down a towel so there would be lots of pee for them to use. Of course the tech said they wouldn't use it because it wasn't sterile. My question was, if the test is to determine what his renal insufficiency is why does it have to be sterile? They took him back anyway and the US showed he still had plenty of urine in his bladder! Yeah, so they said 2 days for the results to come back. I am very they could do it so this way we will know if there is a UTI.

He has been better about not peeing in the house but still not using the box rather going outside. He told the AC that he did not like either of the litters I had, the old one or the new one that I got, doesn't like the smell. I am experimenting with unscented litters......:rolleyes:

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry about the fur shot, but Bubba will get back on track. I'm glad the vet was able to get enough urine to do the test for Forrest. I hope it can tell you what is going on with him. Sending prayers.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  3. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

I find that so interesting. I wonder if his pee is smelling "different" to him and that is what is turning him off and if it is, is the pee smelling different because of a UTI or kidney infection. Are you aware of D-mannose?

https://www.felinecrf.org/pyelonephritis_utis.htm#dmannose

Wish I could find one here to talk to Gizmo. Would love to know why he has started fighting me on testing and shots. I think it is because he is so over being poked and prodded but I don't have much choice. But I have no idea how to even find one.

Do you use a clumping litter? I use Scoop Away and have used it for years. No smell and very little dust and tracking.

https://www.chewy.com/scoop-away-super-clump-unscented-cat/dp/108143

4. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

If they are looking at protein in the urine they need to be sure it's not from any other source.

5. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

My guess is that they wanted to be able to check for a UTI, which with the peeing outside the box is possible, and for that the sample would have to be sterile rather than from a "free catch", such as the pee in the carrier, since that pee would most likely be contaminated. My vet always runs a basic U/A but also holds part of the sample for a C&S in case anything in the U/A points to a possible infection. I'm glad they were able to get some sterile pee!

We use World's Best Cat Litter and love it!

6. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

@Bobbie And Bubba Fresh step ultra unscented is fairly unscented. If you go to the store give the jugs a little shake then open top to smell. A lot of the "unscented" really have a scent. Arm & Hammer is the worst. I think they over do the baking soda. It's horrid and when cats scratch it's worse. The slide is band from my house, talk about setting of my asthma.

Wegmans has a brand called Cats Pride. Their unscented is pretty much unscented. And I keep going back to it. Just going to get it is a pia as it's not a direction I go in routinely. I am also now trying ExquisiCat naturalist wheat. It's pretty good. Only thing is you need a scoop with bigish slots.

Wegmans has their brand which I loved. But they eliminated the unscented. I keep filing a complaint but they aren't bringing it back.

7. Bobbie And Bubba

I've been told Dr. Elsey's is unscented and low dust. I will try that one and the Wegman's brand. I did get Purina's Tidy Cat unscented with odor absorbing charcoal and it is really unscented. Bubba likes it.......so far Forrest hasn't used it.

8. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

I hope the urinalysis can pinpoint what is bothering Forrest. Perhaps he does have a UTI which I guess could cause the LB to smell differently?

Bubba will bounce back from the fur shot!

9. Bobbie And Bubba

Is the World's best cat litter also unscented?

They wanted the urinalysis to find out what % renal insufficiency he was in. But I am also glad they got the sterile catch.

10. Bobbie And Bubba

She can help you over the phone. If you would like her number, let me know.

11. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

I switched to Dr. Elseys Multi Cat Litter and love it! I used Fresh Step Unscented from Sam's Club until they stopped carrying it and the other choice was scented and horrible. I heard good things about Dr. Elseys so I tried it and it seems the cats are good with it. Rex hasn't gone out of the box since.

12. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Dr Elsey I find very dusty. If I use that DH has to pour and scoop it. It is unscented though. It leaves a nice coating on everything.

13. Bobbie And Bubba

Yep it was a FS. 3.5=80

ETA : Pokey break day.

14. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Love Dr. Elseys & the low dust is true.

15. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

We use OKOs cats best and have also used Worlds best like Amy does. Neither of those are scented, but good at odour control.

16. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Ugh oh the furshot!

The cat litters that are like crystals are amazing for odor control. I don’t use it by itself. I mix it in with regular (unscented) cat litter. We use Dr Ellzeys too, for both, they have clay based and crystal cat litter.

17. Bobbie And Bubba

When you say you mix with regular unscented cat litter, are you talking about the more sand like litters? I called a pet store to see if they had it and they said yes, the regular blue bag and the red bag. When I asked the difference, the red bag has litter attract in it so I might try that one first.

18. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Yup, Worlds Best is unscented!

19. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

I mix about 2-3 cups of the crystals in to the clay based litter (red and blue bag ones). I use both the red and blue bag, I can’t really tell a difference, and our pet store often has one in stock and not the other, so I buy whatever is there. Our apartment is very small and super came to fix something once and couldn’t believe we have 2 cats because there was no litter box smell. She said people with cats always have a litter box smell. :cat:

20. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

Darn Fur shots.... Bubba will be back on track .
    My two bits if I might add on the litters. With Fritz asthma I found the breeze system the BEST! It is so simple and we never smell any scents or cat odor. It has a tray for the unscented pellets, and a piddle pad in the bottom. Every other day I pull the pad wash the entire litter box and replace the pad, the pellets last for a couple of months. It is one of the easiest cleanest litter boxes ever!!!! You know we live in less than 400 square feet and you can't even tell we have a cat. I am usually here when he goes #2 and I catch it in paper towels.:D I understand everyone can't do that .
    Might consider this one;)
    In doing my research not only does most of the litters harm the cats it does us too especially if your sensitive to fragrance or scents.

21. Bobbie And Bubba

Hi Deb! Good to see you and I hope you and Fritz are well. :bighug:

DebG likes this.
  22. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

Bobbie, so sorry to be asking this AGAIN. You've told me a couple times before, but I'm going to start SEB and AVJ today. Was it 1/8tsp SEB and 1/2 tbsp 2x a day? I am going to add it to his wet food. Thanks :)

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  23. HWright

HWright Well-Known Member

Yep Worlds Best here, the red or the green packages.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

24. Bobbie And Bubba

No problem, Sean. Here's what I do. 1/4 tsp of SEB mixed with 1/2 tsp. of AVJ. Mix that up and it will get thick, meantime, I heat about 1 tbsp. of water in the microwave for about 30 seconds just for it to get hotter than just warm. Then I take 1/2 tbsp. of that hot water at a time and thin out the seb/avj combo so that it looks like the viscosity of gravy. I usually end up using all the hot water. Then I add it to his food. Both of my boys just love it! There is not a speck of it left on their dish.

I do the above twice a day in two of the meals that don't have any other supplements of meds within 2 hours of it because of SEB interfering with some meds and supplements absorbing properly.

HWright and Sean & Rufus like this.
  25. Sean & Rufus

Thank you! Have you ever tried the SEB capsules? I think I might give that a go. My reasoning is right now, sometimes, I have to give anti nausea meds and then an hour later try to feed him. If I give the capsule, I could try feeding him later. Right now he won't eat wet food straight away in the am.

26. Bobbie And Bubba

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  27. Bobbie And Bubba

I started off with the capsules and opened them up to get the SEB out to put into the food . It was more cost effective for me to order in loose in bulk.

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  28. Sean & Rufus

I want to take him off of pepcid and odansteron. I'm hoping these will work. I can give the AVJ in the food, but I'll have to give the SEB in pill form at least for a while (if it works).

29. Bobbie And Bubba

I'm tagging @LizzieInTexas . I am thinking that SEB is best with made into a slurry like I mentioned above to coat their digestive tract.

The other thing you can do for nausea as per Carolina from FoodFurLife. The same measurements I gave you above with the SEB and AVJ. But don't thin it down with the warm water. It will get quite thick and you can roll it into a ball. She told me to do that and put it on the roof on the mouth about 1/2 before you would want him to eat. I tried it and almost lost a finger with Bubba. I could probably do that with Forrest but not Bubba.

Besides doing the SEB/AVJ mixture twice a day, I also put 1/2 TBSP of the AVJ in his food twice a day also. (different meals than the SEB/AVJ mixture) Along with the 1/2 TBSP of AVJ in the food, I also put 1/2 TBSP of water.

HWright and Sean & Rufus like this.
  30. Sean & Rufus

I can try the "ball". Rufus is pretty good about stuff like that. I'll give that a try tonight!

31. Bobbie And Bubba

Let me know how that works out!

32. Sean & Rufus

Will do!

33. LizzieInTexas

I put 1/16 teaspoon of marshmallow root (similar properties as SEB) with about a tablespoon of hot tap water in a ramiken and mix it well and then microwave for 10 seconds. This makes a thick slurry that I mix with his PS food. AM and PM. I am currently not adding AVJ but when I did I just cut back the water and added the AVJ.

https://www.felinecrf.org/holistic_treatments.htm#slippery_elm_bark

34. Sean & Rufus

Is Gizmo nauseous? I have to give a bit before the food, so that he'll eat later. Curious as to why you make a slurry and then put in food. Does the hot water kind of activate it or something?

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  35. Bobbie And Bubba

The slurry consistency helps cost the GI tract and heal it.

For nausea do the ball method and give about 1/2 hour before you want him to eat.

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  36. LizzieInTexas

Gizmo has ckd which tends to have nausea as a symptom. He also will have stomach acid on occation. The slurry also helps with constipation. It works through the entire GI track.

The hot water (and microwaving) helps thicken the consistancy. Gizmo loves it. It kinda makes a "gravy". When I have to give meds in the AM I skip the slurry because it can inhibit the absorption of meds for up to two hours (before and after) and Gizmo always looks at me like "hey, something is missing here" :joyful::cat:

He likes it, it helps him so I just give it daily (2x's). It is just part of my routine.

37. Sean & Rufus

Well, I tried. It was a little too wet to get it to stay in a ball. Ended up having to wipe it in his mouth. Didn't go great. He tried to accomodate, but it was messy. We'll try again tomorrow. :)

38. Bobbie And Bubba

It thickens upon cooling. Fool around with a little less liquid and see if that helps.

ETA Or try microwaving the SEB in the water. I just microwave the water and add it to the SEB.

39. Sean & Rufus

Ugh. I see what I did wrong. I used 1/2 tbsp of AVJ instead of 1/2 tsp :banghead::banghead::banghead: Long day!

40. Bobbie And Bubba

Glad you caught the measurement mistake. It happens. Glad you weren't baking a cake. :p

LizzieInTexas and Sean & Rufus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.