Bubba 5/30 AMPS 68, +6.5=63, PMPS-76

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Bobbie And Bubba, May 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Yesterday

Good Afternoon L & L ~

Status Quo with the Bubster. He's been hanging in the open windows more lately.

Forrest Vet Update:

Good news and bad news. He is in stage 2 of CKD. It was confusing for his regular vet as only one of his kidney values was too high and she thought it might be because he had just eaten an all protein ( raw) meal prior to the BW. But, the IM vet, who was extremely nice with a lovely London accent, said he knows he is in CKD because the following:

Forrest does have evidence of chronic kidney disease - stage 2 on 1-4 scale. Although not all his numbers are
    high, his urine is dilute and his kidneys are abnormal on ultrasound. We can presume that this is the reason for his excessive urination. We would recommend feeding Forrest on a low protein, low phosphorus diet. With a raw meat diet, it is very easy for nutritional deficiencies to develop - even if you are using a supplement. There is also a risk of enteric bacterial infections with raw diets.

So, I did get a bit of a lecture about raw food. But, he was quite nice and said to take his advice and draw my own conclusions. He ask if I trusted FoodFurLife supplements and I said I do.

No treatment necessary for the CKD at this time, phosphus levels are fine. He did want me to increase his miralax, and take him back to regular vet in 2-3 weeks to have follow up on what the increase does to his numbers and said that will help him with being hungry all the time.

Guess I have some reading up to do on CKD. :eek::rolleyes:

2. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Tanya's site is a good resource. I have gone back to it a few times with my CKD civvie.

She has been post dx for about 8 years now (she was diagnosed early though stage 1).

Not the dx you want to hear but at least you have a cause for the Pee Pee Head behaviour.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  3. Bobbie And Bubba

Exactly, and he also said that he did not think the cyst around the kidney is effecting the pee problem and that some of it could be behavior as well and some senility setting. It was interesting that he mentioned senility as sometime Forrest comes into the room and stands there and looks around like he's confused and not sure why he came into the room and or where he is. The egg yolk powder is supposed to help with healthy brain function and to prevent dementia in aging pets. Maybe to late for pee pee head!

4. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Allen is in stage 2 as well. Just to let you know, there are two schools of thought regarding the protein and the most "current" (I think) is that it should be a high protein diet in order to try to keep weight on the kitty and maintain muscle mass.

Is Forrest dehydrated at all? Will you be giving sub q fluids? The miralax pulls water from the body into the colon so I would try to increase his water intake a bit....if you add water to his food then perhaps add a wee bit more.

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

5. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

I wouldn't fret too much about stage 2 CKD. My civvie Tanner has been in stage 2 for many years. I have no idea how long (would have to look at his records) and he's now 18. It hasn't progressed since his dx. He's eating Friskies, which is high in phosphorous, but it hasn't impacted his kidney function. He also have 2 different sized kidneys that were first seen before his i131 4 years ago and the vet wasn't concerned about it. I haven't had issues with inappropriate peeing with him so I think the senility possibility is a good one for Forrest.

Question.. how would the increasing Miralax help with the hunger?

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

6. Carol in Chicago

Carol in Chicago Member

Just to add to what @Judy and Boomer said re: protein, you want to stick with the highest quality proteins you can find - which I think you are already doing with raw. Dr. Lisa has some pretty strong views re: CKD diets. From the food chart, "Hill’s k/d renal diet which is one that I would never feed to any cat in my care - including patients with kidney disease. It was a very sad day when protein became the enemy of the feline kidney."

7. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

8. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad Bubba is doing well. Sorry about the diagnosis for Forrest, but at least the vet doesn't seem worried too much. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

9. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Forrest, I take back every PP Head comment I have made , sweet boy :rolleyes: Prayers for you and ur momma bean to get this straightened out :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

10. Bobbie And Bubba

I forgot to add he wanted the methiazole increased also to help with hunger. My mind is on over load!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.