? Bubba AM=245 ++5=295,+10=211

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Bobbie And Bubba, Nov 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Are you using a whole chicken? You can scrape off the meat and use it for homemade food.

When it's done and cooled, careful with pulling the meat off. The neck and backs have tiny tiny vertebrae. Could be a choking hazard.

Meant to say 1 teaspoon per day.

2. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Yes, a whole 3 lbs chicken. I will save the chicken for food and thanks for the tip about the tiny vertebrae bones. Glad you mentioned the crockpot as I didn't like the idea of having something cooking on the stove all night.

3. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

That's why I tried crock pot. Because it says to cook 24-48 hrs and possibly longer. I wasn't comfortable having something cooking overnight unless it was the crock pot.

I used soup bones because I wanted the marrow and cartilage. Not sure how much is in a chicken.

Being you are using high setting, make sure there is always enough water in it.

I really didn't mind making food. After a few times you know what works to make it easy. I wish Tux and Tripper would eat it. They still won't touch it, not even raw. Now PJ I've been mixing some in the canned food and it's eating it.

4. Photorecon

Photorecon Well-Known Member

Hope this home made chicken will guide Bubba to appetite, will smell good !

Just be aware that there is lost of nutriments with slow cooker. Your nutritive
    value is changed but not to be too worry about.

Hope Bubba will get better soon !

5. HWright

HWright Well-Known Member

Cheers for Bubba to be feeling better soon! And for Bobbie bean !!!

@Photorecon : why loss of some nutrients in slow cooker (or is this long slow cooking vs cooking for a few hours whether in slow cooker or stove top? Seems longer cooking would bring our more from the bones (in addition to the Acv). Confused here!

6. Bobbie And Bubba

Thanks Sebastien. I am confused with the slow cooker losing nutrients, why is that?

7. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

When Gimzo was so, so sick and I had to force feed I didn't know what the heck I was doing. I was just so scared and knew he had to eat. I didn't know anything about food aversion and wasn't worried about it. I just needed him to eat! I mashed up his food mixed with water and used it. He was also give mirtazapine at the vets (I think it was 1/2 of a 7mg pill - but I would need to verify paperwork to be absolutely positive).

I always gave him the option to eat on his own before I force fed. I tried everything - tuna juice finally did the trick. I didn't care what he ate, just as long as he did. I got some FF white fish & shrimp and put the tuna water on top. I also put it on a plate (vs. his normal food bowl). When I was force feeding it was no where near where he normally ate - not by plan but I was using a couch table that was a good height and it just so happened to be in a completely different area of the house that was no where near where he normally ate. I am just passing along what worked for us here.

Now for a funny little story about Remeron (mirtazapine) About 18 years ago I suffered two, back-to-back miscarriages. I went into deep, deep post postpartum depression. I was give Remeron - OMG! All I did was eat and sleep for days. I would sleep for 14 hours get up and eat 1/2 gallon of ice cream and go back to bed. When I realized that is what the vet had give Gizmo I laughed out loud and told him that if that didn't get him eating - there was no hope.

My vet told me to only give 1/2 pill every three days (just fyi).

8. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

The nutrients are in the water/broth. Whether in a pot or a slow cooker the nutrients stay in the wet matter. The heat will cause some nutrients to be a little lower, but not enough to matter.

Bobbie And Bubba and HWright like this.
  9. Bobbie And Bubba

That is what I think and what the AC said, she said "it's something he ate and has a bacterial infection in his stomach".

HWright likes this.
  10. Bobbie And Bubba

OMG I better hide the icecream!! ( not funny about the miscarriages :bighug: ) My vet said the same thing about dosing, if I give 1/4 the tablets,( instructions were to give 1/8 a tablet but,impossible to do with the football shape size) and she said not give it again for 3 -4 days. Can it really last that long??

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
    HWright likes this.
  11. Bobbie And Bubba

That's what I would think. It's smelly good simmering away in the crock pot. I will freeze up some so that it will always be on hand. Mary Ann, do you have any experience with the liver shake? With a raw egg and raw chicken livers, I am wondering how long it would keep in the refrigerator? I can't freeze it because the chicken livers were frozen (that's the only way I could find them)

HWright likes this.
  12. Photorecon

Didn't want to frighten you but this is where my researches pointed to :facepalm:.
    The more food, the more fluid the faster it will be flushed out (I guess).

13. HWright

Re mirtazapine:
    It sure did with Sootie when I tried it hmmm a couple weeks ago for extreme iffy appy and possible stress/depression after Bo passed away. Vet rx'd 1/4 of 15mg pill every 3-4 days if the first attempt worked out well. I tx'd it crushed in fud around midnight that Friday, she was revved up and on 24/7 feeding frenzy through Sunday. It was if if she couldn't turn it off. It did begin to wear off by the end of weekend. But she did gain 7/10 pound that weekend. Bella and Dancer ate some of the laced food and joined in but by the next morning they were zonked out.

If i ever need to dose it again for Sootie I'd do at most 1/8 of 15mg with her. But that's Sootie. ECID. Vet was surprised by how it affected Sootie, but ECID.

Sounds like Bubba received the liver shake well. That's really good and good to know for our gang here.

Healing vibes and hugs for a better night for you and Bubba :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

14. Photorecon

It's part of the chemical transformation due to eat. Yes some nutriment will get
    into the liquid and not be lost. Some other things like bones, blood, liver..
    when heaten have their properties changed for good, there is no transfer to liquid.
    This information is from multiple reading I did before getting in raw food preparation.

HWright and Bobbie And Bubba like this.
  15. Bobbie And Bubba

So far, it's not showing that kind of an effect on Bubba. I was thrilled he wanted to eat an 1/8 can on his own.

Photorecon and HWright like this.
  16. HWright

Yay! Super, Bubba! And yummy chicken bone broth homemade by your mama bean!

17. HWright

Thank you :bighug::):bighug:

18. Photorecon

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  19. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Yes. Lol. I know it didn't have the exact same affects on Gizmo as on me as far as sleeping and ravenous hunger but it did seem to wear off after three days. He got one more 1/2 on day 3 and he was back to normal eating after about one week.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  20. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Bobbie, whenever I do anything like that in a crock pot I start it out on HI and change it to LO once it's come up to heat and started to simmer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.