Buddy High Glucose Levels

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by kimhyde2010, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kimhyde2010

kimhyde2010 New Member

Buddy was diagnosed diabetic a little over a month ago.
    He was acting funny, starring off into outer space. And wanting to eat all the time. He's trying to beat the dog to her food bowl to eat food, trying to tear threw bag of dog food.
    Vet put him on Lantus, started out with 1 unit twice a day for 2 weeks. Recheck with vet Glucose over 500.
    Next week started 2 units twice a day for 2 weeks. Recheck Glucose at 630.
    Now on 3 units twice a day. Bought 4ph strips and have been testing his urine for the past 3 days and glucose levels are still showing well over 500.
    This is my first animal thats diabetic any feed back would be great, getting very discouraged and worried about my cats levels not lowering.
    Thank you,
    Kim

2. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Kim, I'm guessing that you aren't hometesting?

I don't want to stress you out, but what your vet is doing is not helpful. Lantus should be started out at 1 unit twice a day max and raises in dose should be by no more than 1/2 a unit at a time and based on much more information than one test at the vet clinic.

We treat our cats like human diabetics are treated; this means testing blood glucose levels at home prior to injection and spotchecks throughout the day. That is the only real way to know how the insulin is working.

Right now there is no way to know what the right dose is for Buddy; the dose has been raised too much and you may be overdosing, which can confuse things by causing rebound/somogi effect which in turn causes blood glucose numbers to rise instead of fall.

There is a forum called insulin support groups, and if you click on that title you will see one for lantus. click on that, you'll see a bunch of posted information on how lantus works, and a lantus 'protocol'.

Hometesting is the best and safest way to help buddy.

Jen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.