bumped insulin up and doing glucose curve--hypo now!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sybil and Zoe, Nov 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sybil and Zoe

Sybil and Zoe Member

Zoe has been at 4.75 of vetsulin for over a week now and she is still running around 400 mostly. I did a mini curve last weekend and her lowest was 196. But this morning I went ahead a bumped her to 5 units and as you can see on her SS her lowest captured was 196 since diagnosis. her amps was 408. At approx 1.5 hours later (it was 245 but at 4 hours later it was 68!!!! I freaked and gave her some carbohydrate (temptations treats 4-5) and put a little kayro syrup on her nose because I am not sure when vetsulin peaks. She is acting fine and doesnt appear to be feeling bad. (oh yeah I checked bg 2x using separate sticks so I feel sure 68 is correct). Any advice?

2. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Test again in about 20 to 30 minutes after the last test, for a while. The carbs and karo can wear off quickly.

3. Sybil and Zoe

Sybil and Zoe Member

thanks! I am a many years exp RN so I am not totally a novice in dealing with hypo in a human but there is so much to read on here and usually it is late at night before dozing off, that I hadnt fully read about Vetsulin. I just now read the entire teaching post about it and feel better that the peak is usually 4-4.5 hrs which is about now. But never the less it was a little shocking to see the 68. I am hopeing to get her stabilized more in the 200's before I head back to the vet. Naturally it burned a hole in my wallet when first diagnosed, plus all the supplies and cat food I have been going through. I am thinking about asking the vet if they can do one of the hgA1c tests offered by Baycom diagnostics. I dont know how long she was actually diabetic before I took her to the vet (guilt) and she was drinking a lot of water for a while. She got my attention by peeing on an expensive cowhide rug a few times (thankfully it didnt soak through to the carpet) and it was actually a poo on it that got my attention. Her pee didnt smell because it was so dilute and full of sugar so I never got a whiff of cat pee!!!! Poor kitty had to think of some way to make me sit up and pay attention to her. She is sitting with me on the sofa and purring, so hopefully I didnt harm her by increasing her insulin by .25 units!

4. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I am not experienced with Vetsulin. I would post on the forum for Vetsulin to ask their opinion on the dose.

5. Sybil and Zoe

Sybil and Zoe Member

ok thanks.

6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Vetsulin has a strong action that can drop BG fast and low. That's why the recommendation is to aim for a nadir range of 90 to 110 or so, no lower. The only way to properly assess a dose is to get a feel for how low it's dropping her, not what the pre shot numbers are. That green 68 on an AT meter is right at the threshold of too low. I'd leave her at 4.75 u for now and try hard to get BG numbers in the +4 to +6 range on days off as well as a before bed test.

Here's the guide to using Vetsulin: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/beginners-guide-to-caninsulin-vetsulin.186099/

Beth 73 likes this.
  7. Sybil and Zoe

Sybil and Zoe Member

I will. Thanks for your support!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

What is she now? I wouldn't panic over a 68... Just give a little food.

9. Sybil and Zoe

Sybil and Zoe Member

I did panic but she went to 100 then 183, and last 242 @ 439pm. Thanks!

JanetNJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.