Bupe - Adverse Reaction?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by carolynandlatte, Mar 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

So I bit the bullet, and for the time being I have selected bupe to help with any pain latte may be having related to arthritis or other issues. I just felt safest with this one, tho still terrified to give it.

I gave .15ml (she was suppose to get .3, but was told I could cut in half to start) via injection. It was right around her time to start napping for the day when I gave it. Problem is...she has not napped. She has sat on her throne for about 5+hrs, eyes dilated. Has not slept a wink, unless she is doing it with her eyes open. If I came over to pet her, she was responsive and purred. She got up a short while ago to drink and walk around a bit. She seemed uhhhh, skittish, tho. She is also screaming at her water bowl, but that I believe is unrelated since she always does that when her BG's are high...which they are much higher than she is used to sitting.

I just called her vet and he said it was not normal, but try ONE more time and give less - like .05-.1ml

has anyone had this experience? Could it be a first time feeling, and then it wont happen again? It wouldnt be dangerous to try it again at a lower dose and see if she reacts better, would it?

Man, I tell ya...leave it to my cat to NEED the big guns, but not be able to tolerate them. :YMSIGH:

2. Michele&Molly

Michele&Molly Member

I've used Bupe on all three of my cats (one diabetic and two civies) for pain and no-one reacted that way. One of them, did meatloaf for a bit after injection but i attribute that to the pain related to having 4 teeth extracted. He fell asleep about 40 minutes later thankfully.

If the vet is telling you that that behavior is not normal, i'd be concerned.

I'm so sorry you're going through this - not easy when you want to relieve possible pain but question the med being used. Wish i could be more helpful. Keep us updated.

3. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

i do believe i've seen someone else here who's cat reacted like this. i can't remember though the details. i see jess & earl is on board. you might PM her real quick and point her here. she's a vet tech and would probably know if this behavior is ok. maybe mark your pm as a 911?

4. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Hi Carolynn

Just to be sure I understand -- Latte's sitting around instead of napping? She is responsive to you and there are no other symptoms besides pupil dilation (this occurs with any opiate)? I am not sure what you mean about her being skittish ..?

5. Jean and Charcoal

Jean and Charcoal Well-Known Member

Dear Carolyn,

Are you by chance giving Latte any other meds? I gave my Gracie some Reglan (metoclopramide) last year and at the same time, gave her a very small dose of Buprenex, and she went bonkers. She ran around and was squeezing through small openings between chairs, and I had to call the vet really fast, and she said to give Gracie some Benadryl (she figured out how much according to Gracie's weight at the time). She told me to never give Reglan to any of my cats again and that she had stopped prescribing it for cats. She said the mix of Reglan and the Bupe might have interacted also, and caused her to go ballistic.

Just wondered if you might be using something that may have interacted with the Buprenex.

I was very leery on giving Buprenex to my Ketchie, but she has cystitis flare ups and I have to have it on hand for her. She seems to be tolerating it well, plus it sure does help with her arthritis in her hips and hind legs.

Jean and Charcoal (GA)

6. carolynandlatte

Well, Ok - will try to explain again.

I gave her .15ml injection @ 9:30am. This is her usual nap time (for the day, LOL). She laid peacefully, sleeping with eyes closed for the first 30-60min after the injection. I was cat napping in the same room to watch her (yes, Im a dork!). After an hour I sat next to her to see how she was feeling and did spot check of her BG's. She was purring and let out a few sweet meows. From that point on every time I checked on her she was sitting in the same position, bug eyes (dilated?), staring at the same spot. If I went over to pet her, she responded with purrs.

About 4-5hrs after the injection she got up after another test. She followed me around but acted skittish, or on edge...if I walked in her direction, she would run and try to find a place to hide like she was scared. But she wanted to be near me, so would immediately come out and start following me. Repeat run/hide/follow. Vocal, too. Eyes still dilated. This is very unusual behavior for her, especially at that time of the day. I would not say this was her 'feeling good'. It was not playful. It was wierd. She acted jumpy. She was not taking a large drop in her BG's, which can sometimes cause her to act a little like this. I offered her food, which she refused.

She finally slept for a bit, eyes closed and somewhat relaxed after her insulin at 6pm. I was going to give her another dose of the bupe around 7pm (a smaller dose), but she read my mind - got up, and started doing that , "im so scared of you" thing again. I dont chase her down to give meds. I took it as a sign to hold off.

She is acting pretty much normal now (12hrs later).

Her vet said it was not normal. he may have meant thats not the results we want to see, even if it does reduce pain. Or, he has not seen this before. Im the first person he has given injections to, so he thought maybe I am actually getting the dose into her vs others who may or may not be getting it all in via other forms?!?! He encouraged me to try another dose, but lower - .05-.1, and call him if it continues.

A few folks in my LL condo said they noticed similar things with their cats. Maybe its more about finding the appropriate dose, which would be a lot less than she got today? I guess I could try a smaller dose tomorrow. I could be home for the first 4-5hrs of it, depending on when I give it.

Her other meds are a loooooong list:

ondansetron 2x/day (given 1.5hrs before bupe)
    Lantus (given 3.5hrs before bupe)
    lactulose 2x/day (given 1.5hrs before bupe)
    b12 weekly (none today)
    famotidine/pepcid 1x/day (given 1.5hrs before bupe)
    cypro as needed, usually 1x/week...last dose on Sunday
    cerenia as needed, last dose on Monday
    Fluids (daily, given 1.5hrs before bupe)

7. carolynandlatte

Re: Bupe - Adverse Reaction?...Update

Latte basically did not sleep from the time I gave her the bupe @ 9:30am until I went to bed @ 1am. I know she was awake at 5am eating, so who knows if she slept inbetween.

I did not give the bupe today because she seemed to be feeling okay this a.m. She finally slept...ALL day, and a good part of tonight. Much more normal for her,maybe a little more. I just didnt want to mess her up another day. I think I will play it by ear. If tomorrow seems like the right day to try a smaller dose, I will. If not, we will find another day in the near future.

Her vet thinks this could be good, if we find the right dose, for long term relief from her arthritis. I think Im looking at more short term until I can find something else. Also, I think its important to have on hand for her p-attacks, and other issues as needed. Im not feeling comfortable giving it on a daily basis, at least not right now.

I will let you know how she reacts with the next dose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.