Buprenex dosing question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by terri1962, May 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. terri1962

terri1962 Well-Known Member

My cat Sam had a dental today. They sent me home with .8mg/ml of buprenex. This fills up the whole syringe, it looks like way to much to me. Sam weighs 17.2lbs. My cat Arthur had 9 teeth pulled in 2013 and I had some bup. left from him he weighs about 15lbs, they dosed him at .3 mg/ml.
    I called the vet and they said this is the right dose? I am sorry I did not give him the full dose it looks like way to much. Can anybody help me in calculating the dosage or know any what the dose is based on weight?

Terri

2. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

From http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/buprenorphine-buprenex/page1.aspx
    I'd check the concentration of the bupe you were given. According to this article you should be giving 0.086 to 0.172mg. if it is the standard concentration. It doesn't hurt to give less, unless it won't dull the pain. i usually try to give Tess less, but a wiggling cat and stiff syringe usually means all or none goes in! Tess is a little under 8 lbs and gets .1ml.

You might PM Sienne, she knows a lot about cat meds.

3. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

I think you are giving .8ml of .3mg/ml = .24mg of buprenex. Check to see what the concentration is, 0.3mg/ml is normal, but I have received .1mg/ml once. Its a little over what his dose range calculates to be. I know our big Tig was given a little over .5 at 15-16 pounds. Since there is a lot of dribble out at that kind of volume, I wasn't too concerned about the dose amount. If you think he is pain free on less, then go ahead and cut the dose down a little. Buprenex doesn't have a lot of side effects other than goofy HAPPY! high cats.

(Dosage is typically .005 to .01 mg per pound)

4. terri1962

terri1962 Well-Known Member

Ann,

Thank you, I posted this over on the Lantus forum as I know many over there have much experience with this medicine. Just seemed like an awful lot to me.

Terri

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I'd second Ann on finding out the strength of the solution. Neko's getting some daily bupe for arthritis that is 0.3 mg/ml, but I've gotten either 0.2 mg/ml or 0.5mg/ml for my civie when he had a cystitis episode. And I got the 0.5mg/ml stuff without noticing from a emergency visit on Sunday (not regular vet). Needless to say, civie was staggering after that. You should ask your vet what the range of dosing is for the concentration you got.

More bupe lasts longer. Sometimes people will take the total daily amount for two dosings and divide by 3 and give 3 times a day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.