Buprenorphine / BUPE transdermal upate

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Noah & me (GA), Feb 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

I last updated this on Jan 16. Noah has severe dental issues and surgery is not an option, a long story. Our first try was with liquid BUPE, injected orally with a syringe. Noah HATED getting it orally, whether it was injecting or the taste I don't know. We tried different flavours, triple fish, everything. I was told the subcutaneous injectable was too hard to get in Canada so our vet got some transdermal made up at a compounding pharmacy. Pre-loaded syringes, 1ml / .05ml
    CONTINUED SUCCESS So easy to do. It's about the consistency of toothpaste, squirt from the syringe onto the little "spoon" provided, I rub it on the inside of his ear (clean and dry the ear first) and then I fold his ear around and over the spoon when I withdraw. No issues with irritation, pawing or scratching, other cats sniffing.
    We had a choice, turn Noah into an addict or face a 10% survival rate in surgery. Noah has been through enough in his life so we made it easy for him.

JanetNJ and Squalliesmom like this.
  2. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Good information to know, thanks! Squallie has dental issues, too, and his vet does not recommend putting him through a dental due to age and a heart murmur; nice to know he might have some good options for pain management if he needs it!:)

3. CassWTribby

CassWTribby Member

4. CassWTribby

CassWTribby Member

Hi there,

Are you talking about Butrans? If not I think Butrans is a related medication. I use a weekly patch myself to control pain. The patches are safe for cats to use. You just shave the area if needed and apply one per week. Low as 5 mcg/hr. This may be easier then daily treatment and is a steady supply per hour.

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  5. Noah & me (GA)

I don't know what Butrans is. Buprenorphine is opioid based. Too many things to go wrong around here with the patch. Noah hates confinement, has never been crated in 12 years. That kind of translates to a collar or a patch, he'll feel something on him or sticking to him and he'll do anything to get it off. And 5 other cats snooping around him only makes it worse. And if it does come off someone's going to bat it around and nibbles on it. I've been told this is a slow release formulation. The deal with Noah is an enlarged heart (biggest the vet has ever seen) and cardiomyopathy which has already taken his 3 brothers and Mom and Dad. He does okay with wet food and even eats some kibble now and then so I know the meds are working. I do appreciate any alternative suggestions though, thanks.

6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Butrans is a buprenorphine patch which acts similar to transdermal buprenorphine creme or gel. For the parch one would have to shave an area of ba cat.

https://butrans.com/patient/what-is-butrans.html

7. Noah & me (GA)

OH STUPID ME! The Buprenorphine comes in a pre-loaded syringe which you dab onto the back of a tiny long handled spoon that comes with the package. Ten spoons came with BUPE. Noah gets his dose on the inside of his ear and all this time I thought he had ticklish ears. Turns out some of the spoons have a rough spot where they were snapped from the mold and I never noticed it while cleaning the spoons until this morning. A little 400 sandpaper and a really good cleaning was all it took. Sorry Noah!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.