Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA) Well-Known Member

My vet is trying to get Buprinex for Alex and he was trying to order it for me and was told that it is only 'injectible'. Does anyone know anything about this? How do you give it to your cats?

Thanks in advance!

2. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

3. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

It is an injectible for humans, however it is thought that oral dosing is more convenient and possibly more effective for cats. I use Buprenex periodically with Leo for pain relief (he has acromegaly and gets headaches as well as other aches and pains). Buprenex is sold in ampules in human pharmacies and is a highly controlled substance, which means it's possible you would not be able to get a script for it but I could very well be wrong about that. My vet stocks it and it's given to me in tiny premeasured doses in syringes with no needles. I just open his mouth, slide it about an inch between his cheek and gum and push the plunger. It's extremely effective for him and does not appear to have any immediate side effects other than he gets really relaxed LOL

4. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

How much do you give?

5. Carolyn and Spot

Caryl, I'm uncomfortable talking about Leo's dose of this medication on a public board due to the fact that I would prefer no one think it is the correct dose for their cat. He is an acrocat, and a very large cat, so his dose would probably be totally incorrect for another cat. I believe your vet should be able to locate dosing information for this medication on the VIN perhaps, and if s/he can't find it, send me a PM and I would be more than glad to give you my vet's phone number for him/her to consult with. I'm sorry, that's the best I can think to do for you with this, as I'm not sure if we'd get the site in trouble discussing dosing of a narcotic pain reliever.

6. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Oh gosh I TOTALLY understand!!! I didn't even think of that..sorry.

7. Carolyn and Spot

No problem at all! Like I said, I'll be glad to give you my vet's office number and her name if your vet wants to talk to her about it :)

8. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

You can give Buprenex orally for cats. Your vet will pre-fill syringes for you and you slowly squirt the entire contents of one syringe itowards the cheek, not down the throat.

Your vet will determine the best dose of Buprenex for your cat. Buprenex is a controlled narcotic drug so it may be a little hard for your vet to obtain some from a reliable source.

9. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

I don't get how you keep him from not swallowing it?
    My vet already knows where to get it..he is a surgeon.So he gets narcotics

10. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

They ARE supposed to swallow; you just don't want to make him choke

11. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

Actually, not with buprinex as the gastric acid tends to destroy it.

We, ideally, want the cat to have the drug absorbed through the mucus membranes of the mouth.

Thankfully, the volume is so small that this is possible to do without them swallowing too much of it.

So...you really don't want to shoot it back into the mouth very far. Only slip the syringe (1 cc syringe) just inside the mouth to place on the tongue/gum tissue.

Very simple and .....tasteless.....always a good thing with cats!

12. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Very simple and .....tasteless.....always a good thing with cats![/quote]

I had read something about the inside of the cheek?

13. Carolyn and Spot

I had read something about the inside of the cheek?[/quote]

That was me that said that. Dr. Lisa is a vet so I'd take her word over mine any day LOL

14. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

<<<<<I had read something about the inside of the cheek?>>>.

<<<<<That was me that said that. Dr. Lisa is a vet so I'd take her word over mine any day LOL>>>>

You are both right...basically....just get it inside the mouth. :D

Most cats don't let us pick and choose the location which....is why I get crazy when my colleagues tell people to "put it under the tongue". Yea....right.....with many cats you are lucky to just get it inside their mouth!

15. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The Hospira brand of "Buprenex" is supplied in carpulets, which are like Lantus cartridges. They come ten 1-ml carpulets per box. A lot easer to use than the glass ampules.

16. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Everyone has been very helpful. Thank you so much cat_pet_icon :YMPEACE:

Hugs~
    Caryl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.