Called Purina Re: fancy feast formula realignment

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Roni and Moonie, Feb 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Since Moonie's numbers have been wacky, I decided to call Purina & find out the carb content
    on the Fancy Feast flavors we all use--Hope this helps & that they were being truthful ;-)
    These are the ingredient realignments they made :

FF Tender Beef Feast-3 oz can= 1.20% carbs----added tricalcium phosphate & magnesium sulfate-removed cobalt carbonate
    FF Turkey & Giblets Feast 3 oz can= 1.20% carbs-added tricalcium phosphate &Magnesium sulfate
    FF Chopped Grill Feast 3 oz can=1.70% carbs--added tricalcium Phosphate & magnesium sulfate-removed cobalt carbonate
    FF Tender Beef & Liver Feast 3 oz. can=1.30% carbs--Added magnesium sulfate and chicken--removed poultry bi-products
    FF Gourmet Chicken Feast 3 oz. can= 1.70% carbs--added magnesium sulfate & taurine, removed cobalt carbonate
    FF Tender Beef & Chicken Feast 3.0 oz. can 1.80% --addae magnesium sulfate

Hope this helps everyone on FF--They Did change the labels, so just wanted to be sure the products didnt get changed also..

2. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Thank you for calling and posting the information.

3. Roni and Moonie

4. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

You are such a good Bean....and a good friend too !!! :YMHUG:
    Thank you for sharing that with us here, Roni!!!.... :D

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Roni:

You may want to pass this info along to Janet. I'm assuming these are the "as fed" vs. guaranteed analysis data.

Thanks for going to the trouble of doing this.

6. Roni and Moonie

!

Sienne--I asked for the amounts of carbs in the 3 oz. can of these flavors--Nothing scientific-I wouldnt even think of a guaranteed analysis data--I try to keep life simple.--

7. Roni and Moonie

EXPERIMENT! Fed my kitties the lowest carb flavors tonite-1/2 tender beef, 1/2 beef & liver--Let's see if Moonie's numbers go down!!

8. Roni and Moonie

How do I forward this to Janet & Binky?? Tried to PM--Any suggestions?

9. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

You're a doll for doing that, Roni!

i don't know how to interpret the 1.2% carbs. I thought Janet & Binky's chart said the FF Tender Beef was 3%.

I've been feeding these flavors to Kitty through the change, with no change in numbers, FWIW.

10. Roni and Moonie

It is 3 carbs for the whole can in Janet & Binky's--The percentage is what Purina gave me!
    Thanks..We all need to know!

11. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

Wow. So what percent carb is a medium carb? Or a high carb? I guess I'm okay as long as I stick with the food chart, but I'm confused now! confused_cat :?

12. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

This is a general diabetic health post

Hi Guys.
    This information should be posted on the health board.
    It would be open to much more review. I know how easy it is to become isolated over here in LL. But there is a reason things should be posted in other forums.

First of all, I have no idea what that % of carb that you were given means.
    It is very unlikely that it is as fed value.
    As fed value is the percentage of calories that the ingredient(in this case carbohydrate)provides. Usually cat food companies provide the min guaranteed analysis or the amt of ingred. by weight--- which can be given in terms of wet or dry wt. Gets a little tricky doesn't it.
    Here is Janet's page that explains how those numbers are calculated and what to ask for when contacting a company:

http://binkyspage.tripod.com/foodfaq.html

I know your intentions were well meant, but with just the little info I provided you with , you can see why this is a post for the health board. Where many folks, with experience in diet issues would see it and comment and help you. (eta: in fact, a good this is a great topic for discussion on health)

Please Read and Learn !! That's what FDMB is all about.

13. Roni and Moonie

I did this because Many of us here in LL use these foods & have been wondering if they had changed the formula along with the can label..
    This was not a scientific expedition..Just a question to a company..Many cats here have been higher than usual & they eat FF.
    I fed my cat the 2 lowest % foods on thos list & Gee, she went green tonite..
    It's all well & good to share this with other forums. But it was just a phone call and a few questions.

14. Roni and Moonie

BTW-The elegant medleys which I use for mc & hc are..white meat chicken tuscany is 4.4% carbs per 3 oz can(I use this for mc) and their highest is elegant medleys chicken & cheddar cheese-7.10% carbs..I also use for HC Friskies meaty bits gourmet grill..
    Sorry this caused such an uproar, just getting some info I needed for my cat.

15. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Re: This is a general diabetic health post

Good suggestion, Cheryl!
    I've moved this thread to the Feline Diabetes Health Forum, but left what's called a "shadow" thread here in LL.
    This way the subject will be available to a wider audience. :D

16. Roni and Moonie

Thanks Jill I was just trying to get this over there...And thanks, as usual for the help...I thought it was interesting that they call it an ingredient alignment!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: They were actually very nice & open to questions.

17. coldenburg

coldenburg Member

Just thought I would throw in that I buy Wellness cans in the 12.5 size and I pay less than what I would pay at Walmart for a case of Fancy Feast (as calculated by ounce). Wellness is human grade and none have biproducts. Its been awhile since I looked at all of this, but I thought Fancy Feast still had some biproducts in some of theirs.

18. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

OK - very quickly : what do those numbers mean?

On Janet's charts, the carb column represents "the percentage of overall calories that come from carbohydrates", so it doesn't matter if it's a spoon full or a whole can.

Your response from Purina, unfortunately, doesn't tell us anything. "FF Tender Beef Feast-3 oz can= 1.20% carbs". 1.2% by what? Weight? Volume? Total carb content? Without a scale, that number says nothing... and they should know that!!!

I'm drinking a cup of coffee. In that coffee, I have 1tsp of cream. So, based on 48 tsp/cup, I could say that my coffee is 98% fat free. By volume, the cream is just 2%. Sounds good, yes? By weight, it's probably even less than 2%. But by percentage of calories, it's 100% ! (100% of the calories come from the cream.) Does that make sense?

So unless Purina provides us with the "as fed" or "dry matter" analysis numbers, we still have no idea what they mean. :sad:

The added/removed ingredients are interesting, though!

19. Roni and Moonie

Hey Karen--Well I fed the 2 lowest % carbs last nite to my guys & Moonie went green..
    Of course, I go by Janet & Binky's charts, being here for 2 yrs.
    I wish they would eat the wellness..They dont..That FF is just a tasty dish for our cats, who have been eating it since we found them..
    But maybe I'll give it a try again! Have a good day all!!

20. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

And what might be...

tricalcium phosphate & magnesium sulfate. Wikipedia definitions here and here.

This site says tricalcium phosphate is "added to foods to act as a firming or anti-caking agent, or as an acidity regulator. Companies also add it to their products to increase the calcium content (Dannon told me this when I phoned them). That's why calcium supplements sometimes contain tricalcium phosphate as well. You may find this ingredient in foods such as dairy products, wine, carbonated beverages, powdered spices, candy and jams. Reduced fat liquid foods may also contain this ingredient, to add smoothness and an opaque color."

A Google search indicates lots of cat food have tricalcium phosphate.

I'm not finding much about magnesium sulfate as a food additive.

(but I did learn that epsom salts come in a gel, which is something I might try for myself.)

21. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

Karen-- Thank you for pointing this out. I erroneously put the word "can" in my post.
    I certainly know better :oops: I greatly appreciate your eyes on this. I went back corrected my error.

____

Here is a link to dr. lisa's site that gives information about what/how to ask for the information from pet food companies:
    http://www.catinfo.org/commercialcannedfoods.htm

There is, of course, lots of other good dietary information on her site.

22. cjleo

cjleo Member

Have you tried combining FF and Wellness? I feed my guys a mix of FF, Friskies and Wellness/Merrick/Evo. I'm using Friskies and FF as filler. With 9 to feed, I'm hard pressed to feed all Wellness/Merrick/Evo.

My next step is raw. Need to pick up the grinder first. And of course I need to get the supplements and the proper equipment to store the food in. When I cut back on my hours, I will attend to the move to raw. Given the way they eat raw chicken or turkey, I shouldn't have any problem. Oh yes have to cook for Pewter Boy. Loves slightly cooked chicken but won't eat it raw.

Claudia

23. Janet & Binky (GA)

Janet & Binky (GA) Senior Member Staff Member Moderator

These are almost certainly actual wet weight values, based on my previous experience with Fancy Feast.

Without the protein and fat values, I can't run the calculations for the food tables.

But if you know how many calories are in 100 grams of the food -- or if you're willing to assume that it's around 100 calories/ 100 grams, which is typical for wet foods with no more than 78% water -- you can calculate "percent of calories from carbohydrates" by multiplying the value by 3.5 and dividing by the number of calories.

-- Janet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.