? Callie-AMPS 199

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Callie & Patches, Jul 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

This is Callie's lowest PS. I know that there is a 200 no shot rule. I will be home all day so I can watch her. I have her own jar of honey, just in case.

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Looks like she did well today.

3. Callie & Patches

Yes, she did. I was a bit worried because I had read about not shooting with a PS lower then 200. Callie was at 199. I decided that since I was going to be home all day, I would test her more if she went low. Actually, I hoped she would go lower since my vet wants her numbers to be between 50 and 150. The 50 seems awfully low to me but I have a lot to learn . I'm debating if I should increase her dose from 4 1/2 u to 5u or leave it where it is. I will probably decide after the AMPS.

4. Alexi

Alexi Member

I would hold the dose and not increase as you are looking for a steady drop in numbers day to day unless the AMPS is significantly higher. It can take several cycles to settle after a dose change and she may continue to drop on the 4.5 units. You are getting a good response to the insulin and if she starts to bounce then it can take days for it to settle. Take things slowly and steadily and you will get there.

5. Sharon14

Since you use an AlphaTrack, 50 is too low, aim to keep her above 68.
    How did she do last night?

6. Callie & Patches

Herbedtime test was 345. I am getting ready to do her AMPS.

7. Callie & Patches

It's. 350.That's high. Her numbers jump around a lot.

8. Sharon14

What dose did you give her?

9. Callie & Patches

4.5 I wanted to give that dose a chance to work. I will probably up it to 5 tomorrow. I want her to have good numbers with the lowest dose.

10. Mshaas75

Mshaas75 Member

My cat is also on vetsulin and eating purina DM canned. This is only my first few days but my cat has high numbers and they have me starting out 1 unit 2x a day. After looking at your chart I wonder if I should be giving her more units? I am afraid of hypo and was also told if under 200 no shot

11. Sharon14

Hi Heather, I don't know Vetsulin, but 1 unit is a good, safe starting dose. If you can get some mid cycle numbers that will help us to see how well it's working and if you need an increase.

Mshaas75 likes this.
  12. Callie & Patches

It is better to start low and take your time making increases. My Callie has higher numbers and larger doses of insulin because she had a bad UTI that messed everything up. Our vet would have her higher. It is better to keep the doses low if you can.

13. Alexi

Alexi Member

With vetsulin you have to be patient and not try to increase the dose too quickly. If you are just starting out do a curve after a week from starting to see how your cats body reacts to the insulin and how low they go and when. You can then look at changing the dose if necessary. You are looking for blue numbers at the low point (nadir). Usually the nadir point is 4-6 hours after the shot. Vetsulin dose is based around how low they get, not where they start from. 1 unit twice day is a good starting dose. If you increase the dose too quickly the numbers can bounce up as the body releases glucose from the liver if it senses the glucose level is lower than it is used to. It takes about 5 cycles for everything to settle after a bounce.

14. Mshaas75

Mshaas75 Member

Thanks I am doing glucose curve tomorrow but pre shot tonight she was 591 highest ever

15. Sharon14

Good you're doing a curve, some mid cycle numbers will help. Could you get a test in tonight, maybe just before bedtime?

16. Mshaas75

Mshaas75 Member

I couldn't get a second test last night but I am doing the curve today

Sharon14 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.