Calling all blood work results gurus, please

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by FurBabiesMama, May 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Hi. The vet and I plan to do bloodwork on Mia every six months. She had it done yesterday. When the vet's office called today, they said the results were all normal. I asked for a copy and went by to get it (had to pick up bupe anyway). There are a few things on it that concern me. If anyone is well versed in interpreting results, I would appreciate you taking a look at the Labs tab on her spreadsheet and giving me your thoughts.

The only thing that is out of the reference range is Monocyte which is 864. It was only 170 back in November. Everything else is in the ranges, but my concern is the differences between her Nov results and now. On the Labs tab, I highlighted the things that I noticed. (For example, Neutrophils are down from 12,410 to 8,750; Basophils are up from 0 to 25.) I really did not know what these things are so I have been looking up info, and it seems that, at the very least, she may have some chronic inflammation.

I should point out that she developed a limp seemingly out-of-the blue this week. Here is my post about that: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/mia-is-limping-o.195729/#post-2192477

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

How is she doing today?

3. FurBabiesMama

Hi, Sharon. Thanks for asking. :bighug: I gave her bupe at midnight, so I am pretty sure she has mostly just slept comfortably since then. I was able to give her some belly rubs then test her BG and give her insulin before she even came down from her throne (ottoman where she slept) this morning. Then, she got up to walk to her breakfast and eat. The limp is still present, unfortunately. I was hoping, at least while the bupe was working, to see it go away. This is just so strange.

4. Sharon14

It’s so strange that she didn’t react to the vet when he was examining her. Did the vet see her walk? Have you determined which leg it is?

5. FurBabiesMama

You know how cats are. I suspect that the exam had to hurt when the vet (she) hit the bad area, but that Mia just did not want to let her know. She meowed softly several times during the exam, but it did not seem to be directly related to touching a certain area. She would not walk at all for the vet. As crazy as it sounds, I have not been able to determine for sure which leg it is. Every time I think I have it figured out, I second guess it. I am pretty sure it is a front leg though...probably.

Sharon14 likes this.
  6. Sharon14

Yes I know how cats are! I brought my civie in last week for several reasons, one of which was a funny walk. He would not walk for the vet at all! Turns out he had an ear infection and a bit of vertigo, making him walk oddly. Hopefully Mia just needs a few days to heal.

7. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I hope she recovers soon. The bupe will help keep her comfortable. If it's like a human sprain or strain it can take a while to settle down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.