calorie question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sybil and Zoe, Mar 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sybil and Zoe

Sybil and Zoe Member

I am dealing with a constantly hungry tortie diagnosed 10/2018 with diabetes. I have posted several times about her begging for food and stealing her sisters food. I buy Friskies, Fancy Feast and Tiki Cat though most of their food has fish in it --wish they had more non fish choices--. I happened to look at a can of Koolina Luau (chicken with egg) and the calorie content listed is 70 kcal per 3 oz can and suggests 2 cans per 7lb weight/day. The food chart lists this flavor as having 107 cal. This just further confuses me with my feeding dilemma with my pesky kitty who is climbing all over the counters and table looking for food(never did this prior to diagnosis). I am trying to get her 13 lb weight down to about 9-10 lbs. I posted a good article on figuring out how much to feed your cat in another thread, but calorie confusion is not helping.Can someone enlighten me?

BBelshan likes this.
  2. BBelshan

BBelshan Member

I am a little confused as well since the chart list the calories different than what it has on the can. I removed my original link that had a calculator. I think it was wrong as the calories were too high. I saw in another post this formula.

13 pounds divided by 2.2 = 5.91 kilograms
    5.91 kilos x 30 = 177.3
    177.3 + 70 = 247.3
    247.3 x 0.8 = 197.84 calories

10 pounds divided by 2.2 = 4.55 kilograms
    4.55 kilos x 30 = 137
    137 + 70 = 207
    207 x 0.8 = 166 calories

You would still need to know the accurate calories.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    Reason for edit: fixing information
  3. BBelshan

BBelshan Member

Hmmm - the vet that made the food chart has a website that tells the story of two cats journey for losing weight. She fed way less calories so I am even more confused about how much we should be feeding the cats. https://catinfo.org/feline-obesity-an-epidemic-of-fat-cats/#Molly - Hopefully someone can help with better information.

4. Sybil and Zoe

Sybil and Zoe Member

thanks, that formula is the one I posted on another thread. I am going to try and stick with the the lesser calories if I can tolerate the squalling.

5. BBelshan

BBelshan Member

Well darn, got in a rush trying to help you search I didn't check who posted it. That is a useful formula. I wish someone could answer why the calories are different on the chart than what is on the can.

6. Sybil and Zoe

Sybil and Zoe Member

I appreciate your post very much anyway. In the meantime Zoe is driving me crazy looking and whining for food. I bought her sister one of those micro chip activated feeders, and darn it Bella is intimidated by door. She is not one to be food motivated for me to train her. If she approaches and door opens she backs away enough that it then closes and she runs away. So I leave it open sometimes and of course I found Zoe this morning eating Bella’s Mature Zero carb dry food! Roar!!!

BBelshan likes this.
  7. BBelshan

BBelshan Member

Beast also likes to steal my other cats food, even when his is unfinished and it's the same food. Cats will drive us crazy haha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.