Can a sudden dramatic decrease in Lantus cause hypoglycemia?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by lovemycat444, May 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovemycat444

lovemycat444 Member

I gave my cat Taco 2 units of Lantus at 9:00 am today Before that he has missed 3 shots in a row. In general he has been on 5 units since I believe the last 6 months. I had to miss the shots bc of my own medical procedure.

He also had signs the insulin dose was too high. So talking with the vet she said it was ok to Lower his dose.

Last night I hadn't heard back from the vet so I skipped his shot bc I wanted to be safe not sorry. But now I'm scared he might have a shock to his system having 2 units today when he's used to 5 units.
    I'm not sure if I should cancel my doctor appt and run home right now.
    Very upset and worried.
    Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2018
    Reason for edit: Removed 911 prefix. Received advice.
  2. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi,
    No, a 'dramatic decrease in insulin' cannot cause hypoglycemia (blood glucose that is too low).
    Hypoglycemia is caused by too much insulin, whatever the dose.

Eliz

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    lovemycat444 likes this.
  3. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

@lovemycat444
    Are you currently testing your kitty's blood glucose at home?
    If not, I do suggest you try to do that, and we can help you to learn. It's not that difficult, and shouldn't hurt your kitty at all.
    If you can 'hometest' you will be able to see exactly what is going on with your kitty's blood glucose, and this could alleviate a lot of anxiety for you.
    It will also give you much greater control over your kitty's diabetes.

Eliz

lovemycat444 likes this.
  4. lovemycat444

lovemycat444 Member

Thank you Elizabeth I really appreciate that. I was very very upset and got confused.

5. lovemycat444

lovemycat444 Member

Thank you Elizabeth!! I have given him curves and he absolutely hates it. He is traumatized every time . Yes! Please if you have any suggestions I'd be so grateful.

6. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

What signs did he had?
    Have you any test results we could take a look at?
    This is always the best approach better safe than sorry

His system won't have a shock for having a lower dose than he's used to his blood glucose may look a little bit al over the place though probably a little higher than normal, but when he goes back on track with his dose everything will go back to normal

Still the only way to know what's going on is to test and see what is his blood glucose value at the moment 2 units could be ok or too little or too much without knowing his blood glucose levels is hard to say, the fructosamine test will give you an average of the past days but it will not tell you how he's doing right now, a cat's need for insulin will change with time depending on a big number of factors

If you are willing to try and test at home we can help you that is the best way to keep him safe and help you avoid a lot of stress

Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.