Can a UTI cause BG spikes and vomiting?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Matt & Maus, Jan 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt & Maus

Matt & Maus Member

About 6 weeks or so ago I took Maus to the vet for a possible UTI. She had some of the usual symptoms but was also vomiting every other day or so. She was put on clavamox for two weeks. The other symptoms seemed to go away, but the fairly frequent vomiting did not stop. I took her back in and they checked her for kidney stones, which she didn't have. This all happened just prior to me doing home testing. I started testing, and she vomited again the next day. Then, for some reason, the vomiting stopped for eight days or so. Unfortunately, it started again a few days ago. One thing I have noticed is that her highest BG numbers have come during or after these episodes. The past day or so I have noticed it looks like she won't sit down all the way. Also, she peed the bed this morning. Can it possibly be that she never really got over the infection? She has been on clavamox like 5 or 6 times in two years, so I also worry about that. I will be taking her to the vet tomorrow, I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with something like this.

2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Yes, even after my cat Wink went OTJ, his BG levels would spike. Not very often, or really high, but 20-80 points.

I wasn't testing every day since he wasn't on insulin, but around once a week or so. If he seemed to be "off" not like his normal self, I'd grab a BG test. I'd also check the 5 P's (playing, preening, peeing, pooping, purring) and the appetite. These 6 things are a nice visual assessment you can do quickly at home to see how your cat is doing.

Diarrhea, UTI, "kitty cold" could all cause his BG to go up. I'd monitor for a few days, noted his symptoms on the SS. BG readings went back to normal in a few days. One time he had a "kitty cold" - sneezing, watery eyes, looking a bit under the weather. BG's went up, came back down in a few days, symptoms of the kitty cold still present.

Not the normal amounts of playing, preening, peeing, pooping, purring. Not feeling like his normal self. When he started feeling better, he'd start purring again, then start to play more.

You might want the vet to do a cystocentesis and then a culture & sensitivity on the clean urine sample. The C&S will tell you what bacteria is causing the problem. While Clavamox is a good general antibiotic, it may not be the best one for the bacteria causing the UTI.

Other ideas as you said she isn't sitting down all the way. Constipated? Impacted anal glands (need to be expressed).

Matt & Maus likes this.
  3. Matt & Maus

Matt & Maus Member

I took the not sitting down as a symptom of a UTI because she's done that before. Also, she has been sneezy with watery eyes lately. Who knows? I wish she could talk!

4. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Body language, that is why we say "Know thy cat".

Cats are like infants or young children. NON verbal. Yes, talking in English or whatever language we speak would be SO much easier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.